Carrying heavy cooking gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just thinking about how much I enjoy cooking with cast iron, but it's obviously heavy; then wondered if any of you carry it in your packs when you go camp for an overnighter or a few days? If you do is it because you want that feeling of cooking with something substantial or some other reason?
If you don't, is it purely a weight thing?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
There is something very satisfying about cooking on cast isn’t there? I take mine car camping or on short journeys but I never consider putting it in a rucksack.

I’ve been looking into the GSI lightweight cast iron pans and think they look really good. There’s not much online about them though, I’d be interested to know if anyone has tried them.

Reactions: Chris

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm with Dave here; I love cooking using cast iron but only take it car camping or overlanding. I don't even take it when canoeing.

In the wood, at my fixed camp, it's my first choice. But, if I'm travelling, I'll plan around lightweight gear - that doesn't mean I don't cook proper meals, it will just be stuff that doesn't need a couple of hours simmering etc. :)

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Yeah, cast iron is my favourite but it is prohibitively heavy for longer distance stuff. Maybe for a couple of miles into the woods it’d be alright for an overnight or a more fixed camp, but otherwise just too heavy.

I’m looking for a lightweight skillet at the moment, without a non-stick layer.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I made canvas bags to carry mine.
I only ever really used the cast iron if it's at a site where I can easily drive nearby.

I have 'gypsy' frying pans though; those are excellent, especially with the addition of one of the Ikea stainless steel/glass fit many sizes lids.
I also have a hooped girdle that's kept for campfire cooking.

tbh, if it were 'one pot to rule them all' one of the frying pans would fit the bill nicely.
I can cook pretty much everything in one of them, even bread.

M

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Going solo I've never considered taking cast iron; but with a group I have, I've a couple of small potjies which I've carried, the lid and other stuff I'd normally heft going with others, and it was no problem bar being a bit awkward to pack. A plat potjie is easiest because of the lack of legs, a trivet can be improvised.

Obviously not the best choice for some people and some situations, but the cooking options cast iron offers and, of course, the atmosphere it helps create can make it well worth taking on some trips, even on foot.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Carbon steel is cast iron's little brother. Works well. Other alternative is aluminium. Aluminium pans are very lightweight, and you can get alu Dutch ovens too. They are very popular in the Caribbean and called Dutch pots or a "Dutchie" - plenty for sale on eBay and not expensive either.

Only thing with alu is that it can melt if your fire is sufficient hot and pan particularly thin! Be careful, and having liquid in your vessel helps a lot.

Reactions: GNJC

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Best goulash ever is made in a cast iron mini cauldron over an open fire. It gets the smoky flavour from the fire and is wonderful.

Wouldnt be lugging the thing around for making a cup of coffee on a day hike though.

I guess it all depends where you are going and how long you will be in one spot to make it worth the effort of carrying a lump of cast iron all the way there and back.

In Europe there is a tradition of Dachas, Gites, etc. In this country it has largely been lost although Hutting is available they are few and far between.

A hut in the woods with minimal facilities would be ideal for cast iron over a fire, for a long weekend or a week or 2 in the summer.

Frying pans and griddles from cast iron are weighty things as others have said much more suited to sit on the coals than aluminium but your bacon and eggs taste better out of them.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Carbon steel is cast iron's little brother. Works well. Other alternative is aluminium. Aluminium pans are very lightweight, and you can get alu Dutch ovens too. They are very popular in the Caribbean and called Dutch pots or a "Dutchie" - plenty for sale on eBay and not expensive either.

Only thing with alu is that it can melt if your fire is sufficient hot and pan particularly thin! Be careful, and having liquid in your vessel helps a lot.
Interesting; I've known potjies & 'cauldrons' my whole life, but I can't recall ever hearing of aluminium ones before reading your post. By immediate thought was... they'll melt!

Looking at the facts that aluminium melts at 660 degrees C and that fire coals can get up to 600 degrees C, my immediate reaction seem to be wrong.

However, I can remember melting bits of aluminium in fires when I was a kid, & I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much of breeze to push the heat of coals well above 600 degrees.

Obviously they work, because they still make them, but... I'd want a demo' before buying.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Interesting; I've known potjies & 'cauldrons' my whole life, but I can't recall ever hearing of aluminium ones before reading your post. By immediate thought was... they'll melt!

Looking at the facts that aluminium melts at 660 degrees C and that fire coals can get up to 600 degrees C, my immediate reaction seem to be wrong.

However, I can remember melting bits of aluminium in fires when I was a kid, & I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much of breeze to push the heat of coals well above 600 degrees.

Obviously they work, because they still make them, but... I'd want a demo' before buying.

It could melt if it was empty. if its got liquid in it will not. Interestingly you can boil water, in an emergency, in a plastic bottle , on a fire and it wont melt. Dunno how that works but it does

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK

Aluminium potjies exist - they can melt if you are not careful - liquid in the vessel mitigates. Aluminium transfers heat very well.

It has been discussed here before

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Hmm, although I can see an advantage, can't say I'm persuaded that aluminium is the best option for me. As for the plastic...
There is always titanium. If you can find something suitable in that material.

Otherwise, thin carbon or stainless steel is robust.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
There is always titanium. If you can find something suitable in that material.

Otherwise, thin carbon or stainless steel is robust.
Yep, not sure why, but I think you've misunderstood my posts in this thread. I'm not looking for alternatives to iron cookware, just commented on the fact that it's good stuff and adds a certain 'feel' to an occasion.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
Yep, not sure why, but I think you've misunderstood my posts in this thread. I'm not looking for alternatives to iron cookware, just commented on the fact that it's good stuff and adds a certain 'feel' to an occasion.
My apologies for participating.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I’m looking for a lightweight skillet at the moment, without a non-stick layer.

I've used the Pathfinder Skillet with a lid (? right name?) for overnights and longer trips. Combined with a Mors-type bushpot and the army surplus metal mug + homemade lid that I usually carry = a wide variety of options for cooking different meals, including baking bread. Not real lightweight backpacking kit, but not unreasonable (IMHO) for use when chasing, sorry, assessing DofE groups on foot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE