Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant stuff, love the threads about great retro kit:cool:

I have an OT question. Does anyone know where I can get hold of the Berghaus version of a fastex clip?
You know the older "blade" type ones used on the straps that secure the lid.

Chris

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Brilliant stuff, love the threads about great retro kit:cool:

I have an OT question. Does anyone know where I can get hold of the Berghaus version of a fastex clip?
You know the older "blade" type ones used on the straps that secure the lid.

Chris

Hi not OT at all I'd email Berghaus... They sent me a replacement Bergbuckle last year FOC. TBH you might be lucky to get one they dropped that style of clip for a more conventional 'fastex' style a good while ago...

Gordy.... Nice camelback...

I'm also a fan...

DSCF2580-1.jpg

wildrover

Nomad
Sep 1, 2005
Scotland
Hi not OT at all I'd email Berghaus... They sent me a replacement Bergbuckle last year FOC. TBH you might be lucky to get one they dropped that style of clip for a more conventional 'fastex' style a good while ago...

Good idea.
I'll do just that.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Umbatoo.....
This is a truly top notch thread, lots of jolly banter, super piccys, etc,etc.
I think it may have also exposed a worrying trend, a dark sub-culture, something spoken about only in private (lest the neighbors find out!!!!!!!!!) - yes..............BERGEN ADDICTION!!!
I have had a problem for over thirty years I guess. It all started with one frame pack I bought for a trip to Dartmoor as a teenager. Before long I started looking at harder stuff ....the Berghaus range! I promised myself I would stop after the Cyclops Roc ......but you know what its like...I need something to use between big trips, a hit for day to day use... you guessed ... a Munro....next thing I'm need more & more, bigger & bigger... the Crusader.
I was not long married, my poor young wife!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Barely back from honeymoon and I started looking at older models, something with a bit more experience..... a canvas Centurion, then a bright green canvas ROC.
With advent of the internet my addiction grew worse, I started scouring the scandinavian sites for pictures of Swedish models... and fantasising about having two at once .... yes... the LK35 & LK70!
Then I started looking at the younger end of the market, the Karrimor SF range had caught my eye, with its slender profile and naughty zip-off side pockets!
Where will this nightmare end?????????????
I live almost a double life .... trying to keep all 17 a secret, not only from the outside world ......... but also ......each other!!!!
Help please
N

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Hanging around with Cliff is a bit worrying.

Ive ended up with a Berghaus crusader and a brand spanking LK70

I had another crusader but without the original pocets, so I pimped the hell out of it, untill it fitted some PLCE ones. Just passed that on to a mate.

BTW, I spotted a small Berghaus day sized bag (30L?) in the same style writing as the crusader and in OG Cordura the other day at work in a tool store. Would that possibly make it a Munro?

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
its a recognised condition i tell you !!! at least thats what i tell the missus everytime the beams in the loft creak under the strain of yet more kit i've lobbed up there lol

anyways heres a few of my favourite bergens.
DSC00173.jpg

my berghaus vulcan. this one definitely needs dirtying up more but i havent had a chance to use it in the past year :(

DSC00175.jpg
DSC00176.jpg

not a berghaus i know but its my sons karrimor jaguar 75 which i found in a skip!
it only needed a few holes glueing up and it served him well on a school trip.
DSC00172.jpg
DSC00171.jpg

and finally my much loved SAS/PARA bergen. i modified it slightly with PLCE straps (from endicotts) and a couple of dpm pads i found in my local army surplus.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
I have a dirty secret , in the attic i have a old Karrimor alpiniste 55 but i can't bring myself to use it .
It is pink, purple and turquoise. A remenant from my climbing days. Not realy a bush crafty colour.

It might be time for it to go on evilbay as i have my eye on a berghaus expedition 80 in black!

After 5 years i am still mourning the death of my munro , he was a great friend and went everywhere with me .
A very loyal companion never litting me down in twenty or so years , well only once when his lid went all limp
but this was soon sorted by a local tent repair company .
but when his canvas back began rip and fray it was terminal and he had to go (minus buckles and zip)!

Craig..................

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Campari...

I must say this thread is taking on a worrying turn...

I let Cliff and Gordy's comments go in the respective posts now We have Neil 1 also slapping them in... I suppose it was bound to happen. Yep mentioning issue 'bergens' with external frames...

There is only one course for this to prevent the thread from being sullied any further.... A purgative action is required...

Those under the age of 30 look away, Those who have a love for ultra lightweight backpacking cower in fear in a dark cupboard holding your sub 1kg bergan and making cooing noises to yourself while rocking back and forth.....

NZ manufacture Large ALICE oh the pain....

81965531_full.jpg

The GS Bergen...oh the difficulty of getting any kit into it..

gsbergan1a.jpg

The SAS/ Para Bergen...

1292609083_LG.jpg

Mahoosive capacity, durable and with a frame that could prop up a 432... Moo stache required before issue...

The Lima Kilo Seven Zero.... Swedish Ally or Swedish Torture?

Ryggsack-LK70-low.jpg

That's better.....like pulling a splinter out...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I have a dirty secret , in the attic i have a old Karrimor alpiniste 55 but i can't bring myself to use it .
It is pink, purple and turquoise. A remenant from my climbing days. Not realy a bush crafty colour.

It might be time for it to go on evilbay as i have my eye on a berghaus expedition 80 in black!

After 5 years i am still mourning the death of my munro , he was a great friend and went everywhere with me .
A very loyal companion never litting me down in twenty or so years , well only once when his lid went all limp
but this was soon sorted by a local tent repair company .
but when his canvas back began rip and fray it was terminal and he had to go (minus buckles and zip)!

Craig..................

Dont worry we've all got a Pink Alpinste in the closet..

DSCF0076-1-Copy.jpg

Seriously if you want rid of it I shout first dibs....

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
:lmao: Great stuff Johnboy.

The LK70 is a heavy fella, and I too tryed the lightweight option after a large allice pack :yikes: and knocking pedestrians out cold when turning round on pavements (sounds like Simon Bates music time!!) But by gum, its comfy and I love the quality, pockets size and location, and that leather beltage, as sad as it sounds :)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thats set me off!!!! (imagine the voice of Simon Bates!)
All was going well, I had everything it seemed - the young wife, the house, the lifestyle .... and more importantly .....the BERGENS!!!!
Then brothers - it all started to go wrong! She left me (it was her or them! - an easy choice - she was'nt capable of carrying all I needed for ten days in the highlands).
I was happy for a while, just me and my secret!
It came out of the blue! just another day ..... when I was least expecting it! Dropping out of the back of a four-tonner (we had done it so many times before).....my Roc dropped to the ground just in front of me - but this time, as I picked her up she felt different, floppy, lifeless!
It was her frame! a clean break.......and.........terminal!!!!
I put the decision off for as long as I could.....but I'll never forget that day (4th October 1995) - a sad day indeed!
N

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
NZ manufacture Large ALICE oh the pain....

81965531_full.jpg

That's better.....like pulling a splinter out...

Nope, more like passing a kidney stone!!!!

When I saw this photo...My fingers went numb, my traps knotted up, I swear I just passed blood in my urine and I flopped over instinctively in the "rucksack defilade". Yep I think I need to be screened for Post Traumatic Ruck Disorder (PTRD) :D

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Nope, more like passing a kidney stone!!!!

When I saw this photo...My fingers went numb, my traps knotted up, I swear I just passed blood in my urine and I flopped over instinctively in the "rucksack defilade". Yep I think I need to be screened for Post Traumatic Ruck Disorder (PTRD) :D

Gordy

Gordy... I thought the PTRD was a Russian anti tank rifle made out of 1/2" gas pipe and a slack handful of washers.

ptrd-training.jpg

But I bet it was as uncomfortable to carry as a Large Alice...

If you look closely at the pictures of the LK-70 posted above you can see that the frame is made out of PTRD barrel sections..

I actually liked ALICE I had great fun adding in some straps and Fastex buckles and sorting out a waist belt etc.. Carrying it was a different story.

In the end I weighed it up every time I had an outing with the ALICE I had a Chiropractors bill that cost me a small fortune..

I justified the new Vulcan on the basis that I'd save myself a small fortune in treatment visits.. That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I thought the PTRD was a Russian anti tank rifle made out of 1/2" gas pipe and a slack handful of washers.
ProtivoTankovoye Ruzhyo Degtyaryova (PTRD-41) Yep, but those Ruskies could make due with the simplest things...no Gucci kit needed there!

Ryggsack-LK70-low.jpg

If you look closely at the pictures of the LK-70 posted above you can see that the frame is made out of PTRD barrel sections..
Funny that! :D Though, I am certain I could knock up a tripod and T/E mechanism for an M60 MG with that frame and some 550 cord and "100 mile an hour tape".:D:

Maybe I need to be screened for Alice Ruck Syndrome(ARS). I was given the adjuvant of platoon sergeant's boot in my fourth point of contact, even as an LT. :D:

Gordy

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Here we go another classic pain or pleasure pack :p, The Swedish LK35
Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

The external frame is handy for portage due to the raised lip on the base
Picture027.jpg

Picture025.jpg

A jerry can fits in fine ,
Picture028.jpg

Come up on ebay cheap as chips

Addo any chance of some detail and photos on your Swedish LK70 and Muddy Boots your monster lowe alpine saracen :) ?

Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE