Can you eat Magpie ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
isnt there advice against eating corvids?...

although i have eaten crow, stewed in beer from an old english recipe a mate once read.

it wasnt the best tasting bird,..

sure it wasnt rook? we eat rook,some folk think their crows,however theyre not carrion.

as for eating magpie,well if i was hungry i would,probably marinade in pataks vindaloo overnight to blind the taste!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Surely if there is only one, it had to be a Magpus?

Same as if there is more than one Bagpuss - they must be Bagpie.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Never seen a cat or squirrel peck out a sheeps eyes before.
only replying to a post about the impact crows have on song birds, the main excuse to shoot them.
Im not saying dont shoot them, just the get the reasons clear, if its fun and a bit of sport and you enjoy
it then go for it. crows pecking out the eyes of living healthy sheep is a new one on me. Ive
heard it before but just thought it was old wives tales. be good if you could expand on it?

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
only replying to a post about the impact crows have on song birds, the main excuse to shoot them.
Im not saying dont shoot them, just the get the reasons clear, if its fun and a bit of sport and you enjoy
it then go for it. crows pecking out the eyes of living healthy sheep is a new one on me. Ive
heard it before but just thought it was old wives tales. be good if you could expand on it?

I never knew the main excuse to shoot them was because of the impact they have on song birds. It's always been damage to livestock and crops so far as I've always understood.

If you refer to my previously posted link, you'll see my expansion on the eye pecking thing. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91131

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
There's no way I could eat a Magpie, I once watched a magpie carry a dead rat onto a roof ridge and started eating the innards
as another magpie waited it's turn.
These birds would come and take the tops off our milk that was left by the milkman and drink it, you can imagine we
lashed many bottles. :(

We did have a cover but they took that off too.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Bushwhacker not whilst i was there never came acroos any(not doubting it after seeing the linked thread though)

My parents keep sheep and I am currently living with them on the farm. Unfortunately, we have had problems with Magpies. One of our sheep got a graze on its shoulder, I think it was a bramble scratch to start with. The magpies saw the blood and enlarged the wound considerably until the animal had a gaping hole just behind the shoulder open right into the body cavity. We had to keep the ewe in a barn for a couple of months to keep the magpies off while she was treated.

We hadn't had any problems for several years before this incident - maybe it just needs a trigger (like the blood) to give the magpies the idea?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
if its fun and a bit of sport and you enjoy
it then go for it.

Shooting any wild bird (other than game birds) for fun or a bit of sport is a specific offense under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Only species covered by the general licence in force on a given year may be shot and only then for the reasons approved by the act using a firearm of the type permitted.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I have an old English cookbook that has recipes for just about every bird and animal in the UK. I borrowed it from the school library when I was 14. I am now 56. I should photocopy it and share it someday because my guess is that it's now well out of copy-write. I believe magpie are in there. It was an old book when I borrowed it and so it goes back years now.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Shooting any wild bird (other than game birds) for fun or a bit of sport is a specific offense under the Wildlife and Countryside Act. Only species covered by the general licence in force on a given year may be shot and only then for the reasons approved by the act using a firearm of the type permitted.
intresting you deleted the rest of my post so this could possibly be taken out of context.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I haven't read the whole thread and I am sure it's been covered that they are legally vermin and legally are allowed to be controlled at any time of the year as for eating....

I would like to point you towards the existence of the Rook Rifle, the Victorians considered at least part of the Corvid family a food, however I would advise not eating them while there diet is frankly horrific they also don't produce much in the way of food so to get a decently edible amount you have to kill a fair number of them. But I would still kill them (and do when I get a chance) as they are a massive pest to song birds some of whom need help due to a diminishing habitat, having said that I am willing to give most food a go and I will try it once before I die but not any time soon.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
To get back to the orginal post, i have eaten crow and magpie and pigeon, crow and magpie have to be cooked really well. Crow tasted quite nice, magpie was ok, i would eat it again. These were shot in a woodland, over crops, i just took the breast meat cut in half and cooked on a hot griddle until well down. Try for yourself,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE