Whistling arrow for fun….

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Last week, our club (Windwhistle Company of Archers) had a roving marks shoot, and one or two of the members used whistling arrows for a bit of fun. I’ve never made a whistling arrow (well, not on purpose…) before, so I thought I’d give it a go.

Here is the result - a test shot into our safety net.

It sounds like the whistling pile made by Bearpaw is working, along with some nice fletching noise from the large feathers. Here’s a slo-mo video of me shooting it into our javelina 2D boss:

The heavy whistling pile (250 grains) makes for a slower shot but it certainly delivers the energy at the target. Even with my modest 44lb @28” primitive bow, it punched right through a 5” thick target:

In all, good fun if you have the bits and somewhere to shoot it. I’ll definitely be taking it to our next roving marks shoot :)

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm planning a roving session in our wood this summer with primitive (Mesolithic) flat bows and hazel simple arrows. It would be great fun to have whistling arrows :)

So I take it the pile has holes in it of some sort to make it whistle?

Reactions: CLEM

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I'm planning a roving session in our wood this summer with primitive (Mesolithic) flat bows and hazel simple arrows. It would be great fun to have whistling arrows :)

So I take it the pile has holes in it of some sort to make it whistle?
Yep. It’s actually a brass two-part pile where the front part unscrews from the socket so that you can clean out any soil/dirt that will get in there on a ground landing. They aren’t that cheap, but built very solid so should last for ever(ish). I got mine here:

Bearpaw whistling pile

Also available from Quicks Here.

If you’re feeling very crafty, and would like a cheaper solution, I have seen whistling points made from table tennis balls, see Here. I couldn’t say how long lasting they’d be, but I’ve seen other references to the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broch

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep. It’s actually a brass two-part pile where the front part unscrews from the socket so that you can clean out any soil/dirt that will get in there on a ground landing. They aren’t that cheap, but built very solid so should last for ever(ish). I got mine here:

Bearpaw whistling pile

Also available from Quicks Here.
If you’re feeling very crafty, and would like a cheaper solution, I have seen whistling points made from table tennis balls, see Here. I couldn’t say how long lasting they’d be, but I’ve seen other references to the same.

Ouch, on the grounds we'll probably loose half the arrows in the bramble scrub in the wood, at over £5 each I think I'll have to either be inventive or forgo the idea :(

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Last week, our club (Windwhistle Company of Archers) had a roving marks shoot, and one or two of the members used whistling arrows for a bit of fun. I’ve never made a whistling arrow (well, not on purpose…) before, so I thought I’d give it a go.

Here is the result - a test shot into our safety net.

It sounds like the whistling pile made by Bearpaw is working, along with some nice fletching noise from the large feathers. Here’s a slo-mo video of me shooting it into our javelina 2D boss:

The heavy whistling pile (250 grains) makes for a slower shot but it certainly delivers the energy at the target. Even with my modest 44lb @28” primitive bow, it punched right through a 5” thick target:

In all, good fun if you have the bits and somewhere to shoot it. I’ll definitely be taking it to our next roving marks shoot :)
I like them so I just ordered some on ebay. Only 10er for 5 arrow tips x

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Ouch, on the grounds we'll probably loose half the arrows in the bramble scrub in the wood, at over £5 each I think I'll have to either be inventive or forgo the idea :(

whistling arrow heads for sale | eBay

Find great deals on eBay for whistling arrow heads. Shop with confidence.
www.ebay.co.uk
Broch I made a best offer on mine from a guy in the U. K. there doesnt seem to be any except in China. If you cant be arsed with that then I bought six so you can share them with me x

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
If the whistler’s cost will be prohibitive for fun roving, then I’d suggest making a few flu-flus with 3x pieces of full feather fletchings on each shaft. They work well for stumping etc if you put an ordinary field point in the arrow.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If the whistler’s cost will be prohibitive for fun roving, then I’d suggest making a few flu-flus with 3x pieces of full feather fletchings on each shaft. They work well for stumping etc if you put an ordinary field point in the arrow.

Yep, thanks, we actually use wool fletchings - remarkably effective for short ranges. The arrows are made from my seasoned hazel arrow stock that I make primitive arrows from - I just drill and screw a round-headed screw in as a tip - sometimes with a bit of binding to try and prevent splitting when it hits a hard object. It's crude stuff but great fun.

I've got a variety of staves seasoning at the moment that will all be turned into Holmegaard style bows to test the effectiveness of various woods available to Mesolithic man - the roving will just be a fun session, with some of the club members, getting them away from their recurves with sights and counterbalances etc. The use of primitive bare flat bows and very basic arrows will level the playing field :)

Reactions: bobnewboy

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Yep, thanks, we actually use wool fletchings - remarkably effective for short ranges. The arrows are made from my seasoned hazel arrow stock that I make primitive arrows from - I just drill and screw a round-headed screw in as a tip - sometimes with a bit of binding to try and prevent splitting when it hits a hard object. It's crude stuff but great fun.

I've got a variety of staves seasoning at the moment that will all be turned into Holmegaard style bows to test the effectiveness of various woods available to Mesolithic man - the roving will just be a fun session, with some of the club members, getting them away from their recurves with sights and counterbalances etc. The use of primitive bare flat bows and very basic arrows will level the playing field :)
If I’m not using paid-for fletchings, I’ll just hang around lakes which hold stocks of geese or swans and keep an eye out….Alternatively, while I was still in Surrey, I made friends with some smallholders who raised turkeys…..a goldmine of great feathers for “a drink” :). See :

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If I’m not using paid-for fletchings, I’ll just hang around lakes which hold stocks of geese or swans and keep an eye out….Alternatively, while I was still in Surrey, I made friends with some smallholders who raised turkeys…..a goldmine of great feathers for “a drink” :). See :

How big do you need the fletching feathers to be Bob? Don't raise Turkeys but do raise very large chickens

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Hi Hugh. Well, for feathers it isn’t really the size so much as the oil line in the feather, and how tough and resilient the barbs of the feather are. I tend to follow advice from an old friend of mine, Hilary Greenland, and especially from her book “The Traditional Archer’s Handbook, A Practical Guide”. The following photo is a section that I have copied and inserted here without her permission, but I hope she would see the upside….

[…especially if I say that her book is still available from her website, search for Sylvan Archery online. Highly recommended if readers have an interest in such things!]

I can’t say that I have ever handled chicken feathers, but most bird species apart from turkeys, geese and swans seem to have quite soft primary flight feathers (pinions) which tend to collapse somewhat when shot as arrow fletchings, and this can lead to inaccurate shots. If the chicken primaries are stiff enough, and have a visible oil line, then they could be useable as fletchings. I have used mallard and pheasant primaries on primitive class arrows, and they were OK, but they have to be trimmed to quite a low profile to get enough stiffness, see Korean traditional arrows for examples.

Having said all that, any feather can work as a fletching - even the soft fluffy feathers can be used for a flu-flu type arrow, but they wont last long.

Cheers, Bob

Reactions: Stew and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE