Can you eat Magpie ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I'd kind of assumed that they developed their name as a defence against being eaten. Saying Magpie Pie is just too much trouble.....

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Its legal because - as with all corvids I believe (but stand to be corrected) - they're classed as vermin. They certainly do a job on songbird eggs and chicks!

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
From what Ive previously seen, like other members of the Corvidae family you can eat them however you wouldnt really want to when you consider their diet. As far as I am away you are allowed to shoot them as they are classed as a pest however you would need to confirm this.

As for the tounge twister issue, try a stew :p

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
isnt there advice against eating corvids?...

although i have eaten crow, stewed in beer from an old english recipe a mate once read.

it wasnt the best tasting bird,..

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Adult corvid meat is pretty yukky......young bird's breasts are 'eatable' (cooked in milk or a stew,) if you haven't eaten for a fortnight......

That's bound to get some smutty remarks...;)

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I believe most, if not all british birds are eddible - the same as all british freshwater fish are eddible!!!! It's just some taste a lot better than others!!! I wouldn't choose to eat any corvid, but if it was life and death - thats another matter!!! Also, if you were considering eating any starlings, you'll need to "skin" them as their skin is exteemley bitter (if not poisonous!!) :D

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Rook pie, from memory handed down from people I used to work with on the farm, they used to climb up the tree and tie the chicks to a branch so they get nice and fat so you harvest them when they are at the point of leaving the nest.
Unlike magpies rooks are communal so easier to get more of.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
Yes you can. You can eat the breast meat, preferably from the youngsters just before they fledge. But do beware as they were known in the 18th century as "Maggotty Pie" due to their somewhat dubious carrion related diet. You might be better off with Rook, which as recently as the 2nd World War was eaten in the countryside, again from the nest just prior to fledging. The best way is either "steeped" (which is a sort of poaching in milk) of griddled, but be sure to do it for long enough to kill any "nasties" in the flesh as carrion creatures have all sorts of nasty hookworms and the like.

As far as the law regarding shooting is concerned you may need to check, the local cosntabulary or County Recorder of wildlife (find them from your local wildlife trust) will give you the latest position. I seem to recall a need for licences for shooting rooks, but I may be wrong on this.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
Its legal because - as with all corvids I believe (but stand to be corrected) - they're classed as vermin. They certainly do a job on songbird eggs and chicks!
not anti hunting in anyway shape or form but think now the idea that magpies and other corvids ar concidered to be fairly blameless
when put up against the damage grey squirrels, cats, enviromental damage ect. They dont course anywhere near the amount of damage as was once thought.
But yup ther fair game and legal to shoot so why not. I dont think id want too these days my self tho, magpies are such comical intelligent birds and
are amazing looking in the sunlight, the way they flair there tail and bob about, jays are gorgeous and just seem like they should be in the jungle
and jackdaws? well i feel a bit iffy shooting something you can teach to speak. Infact i watched a docu on animal intelligence not so long back
and a London university had done a study and now think most Corvids are capable of having the same problem solving skills as the average 7 year old child.
I guess its just about what you want todo:)

Last edited:

milegajo

Forager
Sep 10, 2012
The Woods
www.1nomad.blogspot.com
I read that the meat should be left overnight in milk, once done it tastes like "fishy Chicken". Not for me, though if I failed to catch anything else I would. Pigeons are in my experience far easier. Corvids are too darn observant and edgey out here in the woods. They spot you a mile off and scarper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE