Buying my first Ray Mears book, which one to get?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Treb

May 26, 2005
The Hague, the Netherlands
I want to buy my first Ray Mears book but don't know which one to buy first. I'm thinking 'bout getting Bushcraft first. Or would Bushcraft Survival be a better start?

Is it true both books below are one and the same book?

0340825162.gif

0340792582.gif

I've got "Essential Bushcraft" - which is the smaller version of the two on your link. (which are, by the way, the same book - one's the hardback and one's the paperback)

The "Essential Bushcraft" is small enough to fit in your pack and has all the same stuff in it as the bigger versions - just a few less pictures.

:D

M

marcja

Hi Treb,

You are indeed right they are the same book only one is the paperback version and one is the hardback version, if you check out the following link on the bcuk site, there's a decent review of it

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/reviews/review_raymears.html

You might also check out the following link which lists all of RM's books.

http://www.raymears.com/index.cfm

I'm currently reading his latest one, which I personally think is quite a good read. Quite possibly better than the one we are talking about now (but then that's my opinion).

Hope this helps!

M

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Treb,

as a starter Ray Mears book I would recomend the Outdoor Survival Handbook. It contains all the basics covering food, shelter, fire and bushcraft techniques for each season. Hope this helps.

Cheers

JFW

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Treb said:
Appears to be unavailable at this time, the paperback version however is available. Groetjes uit Den Haag.

Did you tried Van Stockum (www.vanstockum.nl)? Their site mentions a delivery time of about 8 working days & Verwijs (www.verwijs.nl) does it in 15 ...
Donner (www.donner.nl) in Rotterdam had one in stock last week - might worth a call.

Happy hunting ;)
Groeten uit Rotterdam *thumbs up* :D ;)

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Does anybody from our "little cold froggieland" know if the new Ray Mears' DVD's are already available in Holland? I saw the "bushcraft survival" book for sale on the Scheltema-site and in the Waterstone's bookstore in Amsterdam but I can't seem to find the DVD's AND I WANT TO SEE THE EXTRA BITS!!!"

Me? curious? Naaaah...

odin13

Forager
May 29, 2005
bristol, england
i would personally go for the essential bushcraft book, which is ecellent, it is also just the right size, the other ones are quite big

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE