Bug Out Man Official Trailer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Guns though....in a British bug out bag.....ahah, colour me puzzled but would one of those dongle thingies with all the necessary legal and domestic paperwork upon it not be more useful....maybe some medicines ? how about some good old fashioned hard cash ?
Because the kind of emergency that would necessitate a bug out bag here is either an environmental issue, like the recent floodings, or storm damage, fire or some other unexpected incident.......

I have to agree with you on this bit. I usually prep for a more realistic and more likely scenario.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Come on now. If guns are harder to obtain there will always be less gun crime as it eliminates opportunity crime. That's a tired argument that doesn't hold water. Yes organised criminals will still use guns, but there will be a lot less gun crime than otherwise.

A teen can't run off with his mums rifle for example.

Unfortunately the stats don't bear you out. In every jurisdiction where gun ownership (legal gun ownership) has gone up, crime has gone down. As someone earlier noted Switzerland where fully automatic weapons are actually issued to every mail citizen of service age, and their violent crime rate is low. In fact, it's the lowest in the industrialized world.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You tried to buy a knife/knife in Scotland recently ? or seen the enormous piles of the amnesty ones ? or listened to the rhetoric of the policitians, the police, the social bodies, the parents.......

Clearly the knife stuff isn't working though is it - knives are still the most common tool use to kill - so they need toughening up by the "ban dangerous things" logic.

Certainly alcohol is a huge factor - in a massive proportion of violent crime - surely thats where your "£50 a whop" idea should start? So £50 a unit of alcohol.....

I really don't understand why people who want to cut down on violence don't start with the booze and knives - it defies sense

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Unfortunately the stats don't bear you out. In every jurisdiction where gun ownership (legal gun ownership) has gone up, crime has gone down. As someone earlier noted Switzerland where fully automatic weapons are actually issued to every mail citizen of service age, and their violent crime rate is low. In fact, it's the lowest in the industrialized world.

if your argument holds then we arm everyone and there will be no gun crime and we can all sleep soundly in our beds.

We should do the same with nukes and nations.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....Now those are all potential and very realistic scenarios; unlike zombie apocalypse or the sudden advent of druggie rapists with intent on middle class girls virtue :rolleyes:

M

Don't know about zombies. But I do know tht most sexual assaults (and there are an extremely high number of them reported (and multiple times that left unreported) are most often commited by a family member or close aquaintence.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Me too, and I grew up in the sure and certain knowledge that if the bomb was ever dropped on Faslane then nearly 90% of Scotland was dead.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So, by your figuring then Santaman2000, teenage girls should be excluded from the company of their male family members....or sleep with a gun under their pillow ?
How about teaching everyone about respect ? courtesy, and that they're actually less of anything decent if they have to force or coerce another agin their will and best interests ?

British Red, surprisingly the knife crime figures are falling :D :D we'll just hope it continues to spiral downwards.

The drink though ? I agree that it's too easily available and is used as an excuse for violent behaviour :sigh:
I hate that excuse, "It wiz the drink!". It wasn't the damned drink; it was the eejit who drank it and then like a cowardly runt tried to blame the behaviour upon it and excuse their own glaikit stupidity because of it.

Ah, but, all those folks who demand rights and freedoms and personal responsibilty; too many don't like it when they subseqeuntly have to be personally responsible for their actions.

Mod Hat On......this thread is so over the line on too many topics :sigh: I'm involved so I need to find another Mod to have a looksee. At least it's in FG, though it should be in FM but the OP isn't allowed in there.

M

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yes there was a gun in the film.

Anyway, film is not for me, but if you are open to constructive criticism my input would be to use a tripod for the camera, you can feel the cameraman if you know what I mean. I would either make it more funny, or less cheese-dramatic. Also less walking-angry-with-your-hood-up...yes much less of that.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So, by your figuring then Santaman2000, teenage girls should be excluded from the company of their male family members....or sleep with a gun under their pillow ?
How about teaching everyone about respect ? courtesy, and that they're actually less of anything decent if they have to force or coerce another agin their will and best interests ?.....

Actually coercion is what rape is about. It's not about sex, it's about dominance. And most of the pertrators are beyond teaching. The victims are rarely restricted to teenage girls. Rather victims include middle aged and elderly women as often as not (and men not infrequently)

But to answer your question, yes, my daughter and her mom both go armed. As does my elderly aunt and many of my female cousins.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......The drink though ? I agree that it's too easily available and is used as an excuse for violent behaviour :sigh:
I hate that excuse, "It wiz the drink!". It wasn't the damned drink; it was the eejit who drank it and then like a cowardly runt tried to blame the behaviour upon it and excuse their own glaikit stupidity because of it......

Most don't blame the alcohol. Rather they deny they have a problem until the courts force them into treatment.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Mod Hat On......this thread is so over the line on too many topics :sigh: I'm involved so I need to find another Mod to have a looksee. At least it's in FG, though it should be in FM but the OP isn't allowed in there.

M

I apologize for the way we've hijacked the thread, but really what lines have we crossed?

We're disagreeing with one and other strongly (but that's neither new nor against the rules) None of us have made political comments unless I missed one? None of us have advocated anything illegal (though we've proffered opinions on how effective existing or proposed laws are or might be) And by "none" of us, I mean none on either side of the debate; apart from some expected sarcasm, we've been respectful of one and other.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You live in a weird world; you really do.

I think it horrendous that you casually accept that there is a need for your daughter to go armed; that's not civilization, that's a totally screwed up world.

Your crime rates are the worst in the western world, so all that armament and 'right to bear arms' isn't doing anything to ease social stress, violence or assault.
http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

We're not going to agree on this Santaman2000, but I'm glad I live in the UK.

Toddy

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Unfortunately that map means little. it treats the entire US as a single country for the purposes of statistices. You'll find that the sates with the most draconian gun lawas (new York, Illinois, California, etc.) are the ones with extremely high violent crime rates, whereas the ones with the more lax gun laws have much lower violent crime rates.

And as the map indicates, those are "reported crime rates." Not many other countries report DUIs, minor drug possession, driving with a suspended license, etc. as a "crime." And lets not forget that those statistics of "gun crime" here also include legitimat defensive shootings that aren't true crimes. Even those countries where the authorities do report them as crimes, the victims of minor assaults don't always report them to the authorities. Such a comparison would only be useful if all areas had uniform reporting.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....I think it horrendous that you casually accept that there is a need for your daughter to go armed; that's not civilization, that's a totally screwed up world......

My daughter served as a soldier in the Army until her health precluded further service. Her mother served as an NCO until her retirement from the Air Force. I don't think either of them'd put up with anyone telling them they couldn't go armed.

Which is more horrendous? The fact that I accept the need and encourage those I love to take steps to protect themselves? Or that you prefer to deny those you love the means to protect themselves and even deny the need?

Yes the UK is so much safer; just ask James Bulger's parents.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
(Can't get the trailer to work on my work network, will check at home)

Also, I've heard that if you switch the light off and whisper '.45 ACP' 3 times whilst looking into a mirror, santaman2000 appears and hands you a Glock.

I did chuckle at that but then he appeared on the thread, more than helped derail it (with help) and the whole thing has gone down the crapper.

Shut the thread.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches

Had James had a gun he would probably shot his parents...Because kids with guns are dangerous.

I seriously do not think using a single case strengthens the cause here... An interview with Sir Robert Winstone a few years back put a very good point across...In the 50's there were 13 abductions and murders of children (when guns were more freely available_ in the 1990s there were 13 abductions and murders of children...But fear was higher and children now play indoors...

Child abduction and murder has gone down due to head of population percentages, but the figure is much the same. But guns won't actually change that.

Go and look for those figures if you wish to see the truth. I'm off to work now so haven't the time.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Are you proposing we arm 2 year olds? Guns would've made no difference in that case as the child was taken without the mothers knowledge by kids with no grasp of social constructs, morality, or empathy. In fact easy access to firearms couldve added more casualties to the list as its clear the perpetrators had no regard for life.

However I don't think we should be mentioning specific crimes in this thread.

But the uk is much safer. Its safer to go to high school. Its safer to have an argument. It safer to have a lovers tiff. Because practically no one is going to draw a gun because they're angry, sad, peed off or dissafected.

Arming the citizens seems to be the only option in a country where that genie is already out of the bottle. A country where carrying a gun is a religion to some people, a god given right. A country where fear keeps the peace.

Fortunately here in the uk the genie is still in the bottle and I'd like it to stay that way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE