Are Hammocks Dead? - Long Live the Bedroll?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
What exactly IS a bedroll anyway?
I use a thermarest/sleeping bag wrapped up in my British army bivvy bag most of the time - unless I'm using one of my tipis.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
anthonyyy a bedroll is your setup mate... roll it all up when you're done sleeping in it and that's a bed roll.

There are tweaks... mine has a pocket for a therm-a-rest so it has zero chance of moving under me... it's also made of cotton canvas but in effect, it's the same thing.

I use my hammock in the summer months when the weather's great only.

Stuart MacD

Jul 17, 2006
Newcastle-upon-tyne
I got caught on bushcraft from one of my dads friends when i was 10 but I wasn't that good then I watched a Ray mears episode at my friends and got better and I have a couple of his books and DVDs he is really good. At least he is getting people hooked on it like me. Also does anyone know where to get one of them camping hammocks as I've looked everywhere, also I need it cheep as i have a tight budget

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Stuart, first off I'd remove your email for security reasons, secondly, keep an eye out for Magikelly doing a group buy. I got mine there and I'm really pleased with it!

P

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
I have tried using a hammock on various occasions and just cant settle , finishing the night on the ground every time . Dont even bother packing it now .
I like my thermarest ,sleeping bag & bivi set up thank you :)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Ray used a bedroll instead of a hammock.
He used a knife that wasn't a Woodlore.
He wore a hat that wasn't a Tilley.
He used an axe that wasn't a GB.
etc etc etc.

I don't know whether it would be really cool or really annoying and scary if I was Ray, where my every move is copied and discussed for hours. The power I could wield, and the money I could make from selling the "latest and greatest" thingamebob that I've suddenly decided to start using.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
mark a. said:
Ray used a bedroll instead of a hammock.
He used a knife that wasn't a Woodlore.
He wore a hat that wasn't a Tilley.
He used an axe that wasn't a GB.
etc etc etc..
Not much of a recommendation for the stuff in his online shop then :lmao: A bit like Jamie Oliver popping out to the chip shop ;)

mark a. said:
I don't know whether it would be really cool or really annoying and scary if I was Ray, where my every move is copied and discussed for hours. The power I could wield, and the money I could make from selling the "latest and greatest" thingamebob that I've suddenly decided to start using.
Just like football teams who change their shirts each year and impressionable kids (and adults) all over the country rush out to buy a new replica set. :confused:

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Zodiak said:
I noticed on the new RM program last week that he had eschewed the use of his trusty hammock for a bedroll, is this because...

1 - He now thinks bedrolls are better? :cool:

2 - The other bloke couldn't manage a hammock? :p

3 - Ray is getting on a bit and can't manage the climb :lmao:

4 - There were not enough strong trees.

I was going to say that he has put weight on and can't find a hammock to take him, but he seems to have shed stones since we last saw him and anyway I weigh more and my hammock is fine :)
But I have to say that a bed roll like that looks VERY cozy :rolleyes:

Was Ray useing a bed roll or a swagbag which is a populer way to sleep under the stars in oz ?.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Indeed... It's simple enough - you use whatever you feel best suits the requirements at the time. Surely no-one thinks that you should always use exactly the same kit regardless of where you are or what you are doing?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One of the big differences was he was camping out of the back of a Landie.

Added to that the scarcity of sturdy trees ( and thats not a pop at Ray, who I thought was looking in good shape. ) and a swag or bedroll made much more sense.

He also used a folding chair, lets start a thread about them too..... ;)

Stuart MacD

Jul 17, 2006
Newcastle-upon-tyne
pibbleb said:
Stuart, first off I'd remove your email for security reasons, secondly, keep an eye out for Magikelly doing a group buy. I got mine there and I'm really pleased with it!

P

thanks I'll keep an eye out for that and I put my address in by accident I forgot about the security reasons until I had posted. But thanks for the heads up. as I've been lookin for one for ages. :cool: :thanks: :lmao:

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Wayland said:
One of the big differences was he was camping out of the back of a Landie.

Added to that the scarcity of sturdy trees ( and thats not a pop at Ray, who I thought was looking in good shape. ) and a swag or bedroll made much more sense.

That's what I figured too, 1 big tarp & 2 bedrolls made sense, though I suppose they could have hung hammocks from both ends of the Landie to a single tree if they'd been just the 2 of them.

Another thing to remember is he wasn't alone, had a UCL professor ( who may not liked hammocks ) and a film crew to accommodate.

Then also, and very much not least, he was working with aboriginal women who slept on the ground, if he'd have been sleeping in a hammock it might have distanced them more and may not have helped build such close and trusting relationships as they would have liked.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Spikey DaPikey said:
*yawn*

This is getting silly. Just because he wants to sleep in a bedroll, people start to have a go at Ray again.....

PEACE :240: I don't think anybody was having a go, certainly not me, I was just a bit confused and wanted to understand why he did what he did :eek:

2 years ago I wouldn't have considered camping in anything other than a tent and using my oversized box fill sleeping bag on an air bed

Now I am quite happy to sleep in a hammock under a tarp, the cold doesn't bother me and I don't need an underblanket... because if its cold I take my tent. :D

So when Ray turned up in his nice thick looking bed thingy I thought... hello... I wonder what that is and why is he using it?

I wasn't having a go honest!! :240:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Wayland said:
He also used a folding chair, lets start a thread about them too..... ;)
OK.

I used to use a Tesco one but my :censored: went right through it one night and now I use one from Sainsburys which has a cup holder. The only problem is the arm is held up at the back buy a rubber grommet throgh the canvas and it has pulled through.... silence... oh you were joking wern't you? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE