Are Hammocks Dead? - Long Live the Bedroll?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I noticed on the new RM program last week that he had eschewed the use of his trusty hammock for a bedroll, is this because...

1 - He now thinks bedrolls are better? :cool:

2 - The other bloke couldn't manage a hammock? :p

3 - Ray is getting on a bit and can't manage the climb :lmao:

4 - There were not enough strong trees.

I was going to say that he has put weight on and can't find a hammock to take him, but he seems to have shed stones since we last saw him and anyway I weigh more and my hammock is fine :)

But I have to say that a bed roll like that looks VERY cozy :rolleyes:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Ray himself has only ever said that he the hammock in the jungle and the warmer months in the temperate regions.

He always uses the bed roll in the desert (Oz or Africa), probably because there's **** all trees around as well.

I seem to remember him using the bedroll + tarp when he was in the US as well.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
that bedroll looked nice and cozy but did you see the size of the thing
leon

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
leon-b said:
that bedroll looked nice and cozy but did you see the size of the thing
leon

But Leon, it was not really a backpackers bedroll...It was much the same as they used in "I'm a celebrity", so I am told...Would I watch such a programme...:eek:

LS

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I only ever use my hammock when it's wet underneath me. The rest of the time I sleep better on the ground. Don't know why, I even prefer to face it when I do. I found it a mite uncomfortable to sleep face down in a hammock. :p

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Dougster said:
I only ever use my hammock when it's wet underneath me. The rest of the time I sleep better on the ground. Don't know why, I even prefer to face it when I do. I found it a mite uncomfortable to sleep face down in a hammock. :p
God :eek: If the grounds too wet you could drown!!! :p

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think Ray tends to use gear that is popular where he visits, bedrolls are or were popular in Auz etc

When he did a canoe trip in the states, he used a "Baker Tent" and carried gear in a Deluth backpack (in the canoe that is)

With Lars Falt he used a Tipi etc. I wish I had his choice of gear though :cool:

I really like the chap, he seems a genuine fella, with sincere ideas and practise plus a wealth of real knowledge, plus, he is flexible with his kit and not stuck with one way of making a camp

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
bloodline said:
Forgive me, but who is Ray Mears?

Oh lord thank you, not everyone has gotten the Bushcraft bug from Ray! I've been obsessed with Bushcraft since I was 9-10, after reading Mors' book, 8 years later, everyone thinks I'm following Ray! Bloody people with their stupid assumptions with the... *rambles on for 10 minutes about classic Bushcraft being dead*

Reactions: bloodline
May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I like both, Bedrolls I take between August and April, and from April until August, I use a hammock. Both have their uses, Bedroll can act as a rucksack if you want to pack light. Hammock keeps you off the cold wet ground. Bedroll is bed, insulation and shelter all in one. Hammock can be carried easily in almost any rucksack.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
rik_uk3 said:
I think Ray tends to use gear that is popular where he visits, bedrolls are or were popular in Auz etc

When he did a canoe trip in the states, he used a "Baker Tent" and carried gear in a Deluth backpack (in the canoe that is)

With Lars Falt he used a Tipi etc. I wish I had his choice of gear though :cool:

I really like the chap, he seems a genuine fella, with sincere ideas and practise plus a wealth of real knowledge, plus, he is flexible with his kit and not stuck with one way of making a camp

.. Canoeing in US? Wasn't that Canada?.. please don't confuse my country with our southern neighbours, our moose are bigger! :p

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Eric_Methven said:
He's a fat boy scout!

Eric

To be fair, he has shed a lot. No wonder if he reads stuff here.

I have to admire the bloke, he has the money for doing what he loves and has brought a lot of people here.

As I said in another post, he didn't bring me here, but defining it helped me get here faster (the forum).

I admire the bloke.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought we were discussing hammocks here, and not Ray's weight ... :rolleyes: What does it matter if he gained or lost a few pounds? He's still Ray - who's good in the things he does. I would allmost think it's somesort of psychological selfreflection ... :nana: ;)
And, if you bear in mind what happened in May last year, it's obvious you gain weight (because there are other things to think about). Besides that, if he would look like Paris H. there would be comment aswell ...
Rollmodel - maybe. But better this size, than Paris size - might save some young insecure girls lives you know ( :tongue-ti ).

Back to topic:
I don't think hammocks are dead.
1. Otherwise there wouldn't have been 7 groupbuys ...
2. The fact Ray used a bedroll is (IMO) because the situations dictates:
- no suitable trees
- not custom to the surroundings he's in (when in Rome, do as the Romans do)
- and as said above: Gordon might not be up to it
- idem: If you read his book you'll find out he uses a hammock in summer or when in the jungle - thus not in the desert.

Reactions: underground

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE