Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Folks going on the Arctic Exped Feb 2010
Please see my earlier post regarding the group flight booking for the Oslo to Bardufoss leg of the Exped being more expensive than booking individually.

I have no problem at all arranging the group booking with Norwegian if there is enough interest....even if it is approx £24 more per person.

We have 5 folks so far who have noted interest for the group booking for the Oslo to Bardufoss leg via Norwegian Airlines.....assume other folk are hiking / train / driving / feather up the provebial :lmao:

Unless you have already done so, please let me know by tomorrow if you want to do a group booking on the dates provided in the previous post.

If we do not get 10 folks interest by the 8th Oct the quote lapses anyway.
Should this occur I'll book my flight directly and advise on cost and options.

Cheers
Tom

john wings

Forager
Dec 12, 2004
cornwall
Another piece of essential equipment that is useless.....until it is needed, then it is priceless, literally.

The EHIC European Health Insurance Card

In another Exped thread it was advised that folk obtain one of the above EHIC cards.
I can only report upon UK process being a UK resident, our friends living outside of the UK will need to check arrangements with their respective health authorities.

The following is for guidance only, it is the absolute responsibility of each individual to ensure they obtain a EHIC and the appropriate level of additional medical insurance.

They (EHIC's) are free and take literally 5 minutes on-line to obtain. You will need your National Insurance (NI) number.
Whilst applying I also applied for an EHIC for the missus, the same basic info is required and I'm assuming you can recall your partners birth date....oooops :lmao:

What is it?
Essentially the EHIC is a card that allows you to receive the same basic level of state medical care afforded to that countries residents. (Provided state medical care exists in that country!)

A little more info taken from the on-line UK EHIC site.
EHIC is not a substitute or replacement for private travel insurance.
Does not cover the costs of private healthcare or services that are not part of the state healthcare system.
Does not cover the costs of being brought back to the UK.
The card may not be used in some regions, as there may be no state provided healthcare available.

The EHIC is normally valid for three to five years.
Covers any medical treatment that becomes necessary during your trip, because of either illness or an accident.
Gives access to state-provided medical treatment only, and you'll be treated on the same basis as an 'insured' person living in the country you're visiting.
Remember, this might not cover all the things you'd expect to get free of charge from the NHS in the UK.
You may have to make a contribution to the cost of your care.​

Where to get it
Apply on-line here

Most folks absolutely do not leave home without a credit or debit card, look upon this as your European basic health card....

Cheers
Tom
Tom I applied for the european health insurance card from "Here" and was asked for nearly a tenner to process it.(imap is the set up concerned)
They are available for free.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Tom I applied for the european health insurance card from "Here" and was asked for nearly a tenner to process it.(imap is the set up concerned)
They are available for free.

This is weird, I did not need to pay for mine or my good ladies card...
Even now, when I click the link it takes me to the official EHIC site where no payment is required...

It even states 'The EHIC is issued by the Prescription Pricing Authority (PPA) and is free of charge.'

For some reason the link routed you to a pay channel.....big brother is watching.....:lmao:
Hopefully it is a one off, in any case if anyone has any difficulty please PM me, glad to help.

Tom

Feb 2, 2009
Edinburgh
Me and my partner are going and have paid the deposit.

hopefully it'll go ahead as I'm really looking forward to it, it'll be a new experience for both of us.

Kit-wise will be interesting. If anyone is offering a spare sleeping bag or bivi then we'll gladly take it! I've got a exped synmat 7 standard which is rated to -17 but not sure how accurate this is and its possibly pushing it.

We'll not spend to much money until its confirmed though, same with flights. We're based in Edinburgh and annoying it seems cheapest to fly down to London first.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
UPDATES
NORWEGIAN GROUP BOOKING (QUOTED PRICE FOR GROUP FLIGHT EXPIRES TODAY)
FYI - THE PRICE WILL INCREASE....
As per previous post....I've approached Norwegian for a group deal, the quote is higher than the prices we can get from the internet. (BUT NOT FOR LONG)
i.e. the group quote is IRO £164 per person (Inc 2 x checked bags AND sitting as a group)
(Recall the idea is to only outlay a deposit rather than a full flight at this juncture...)

If you booked a flight yourself YESTERDAY on the web it would have cost you £121...TODAY that same flight is £128.....(Plus check bag charge of £16 rtn for 2 pieces of checked luggage)

By my calculations there are 7 folks interested in the group booking
Tom (Moi)
CdC
Barry + 2
Gingerscot + 1​

Unless we get three more for the GROUP Oslo BDU flight 14th <> 20th Feb 2010 the group quote will expire and I'll be booking my flight directly today as the cost has already increased and will continue to do so as we get nearer to Christmas......

FYI - If we do get 10 folks we need to pay a 20% deposit (None refundable), that is approx £33 each.
The deposit must be paid in a single payment so I'll need the deposit from all ten folks 'ahead' of making the booking. (Plus address, contact details, inside leg measurement etc...
See group flight conditions Here

LIFT TO HEATHROW
The offer of a lift to Heathrow airport from North Hampshire (Bordon or en-route) for a flight departure of 0720am or later, is still available. I have room for three plus gear.

GEAR
I have three spare Arctic sleeping bags and one Bivi, they are available to borrow if required. If someone wishes to borrow them I'll be bringing them to Heathrow on the 14th and will expect them back on the 20th (I'll hold your passport in-between :rolleyes: )

Best to everyone
Tom

john wings

Forager
Dec 12, 2004
cornwall
Something to consider;It may be well advisable if a medical emergency does come to pass that you have to hand rules governing the reciprocal national health rules,in the appropiate language of the country youre visiting;plus a similar card listing a selection of medical symptoms again in the appropiate language, for you to point out to medical staff!:buttkick:
john wings

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Be aware I went into the Norwegian site to book my flights and the take off time on the 14 Feb has changed from 13:15 to 12:35 which has screwed up my plans to use KLM.
The return flight times haven't changed.
Cheers
Stephen

Hi Stephen thanks for flagging the flight change....sorry to hear is snafu's your plans to use KLM.

Fortunately it does not impact the BA flights form Heathrow as per below.
On the up side their is now just over an hour between inbound touch down in BDU and meeting up in the BDU arrivals area.

Below is an updated overview of flights for anyone departing via Heathrow (via BA or another flight with similar departure time)

Outbound leg 14th Feb 2010
Arrive Heathrow (LHR) 0600
Depart LHR 0720 - Arr Oslo-Gardermoen (OSL) 1030 (British Airways BA0762)
Depart OSL 1235 - Arr BDU 1425 (Norwegian Airlines DY394)

RV Bardufoss (BDU) arrivals 1530 14th Feb
HAVE LOADS OF FUN
Dropped of at BDU at 1300 20th Feb

Return leg 20th Feb 2010
Depart BDU 1415 - Arr OSL 1605 (Norwegian Airlines DY395)
Depart OSL 1710 - Arr LHR 1840 (British Airways BA0767)

PS We did not get enough folks for the group Norwegian flight booking :(
Please book directly with Norwegian as required, the group offer price has now expired

Tom

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Which model of the Sorel boots did you use Stephen?
Cheers,

Johan

Got a superb deal at Sierra Trading Post for the following plus a load of other bits....

Sorel Blizzard Boots plus rated to -40 they are monster boots...
Got two sizes larger so could replace the standard 10mm liners with Sorels 13mm Glacier inner boots.
Heaven knows what they are rated at now :rolleyes:

The 10mm liners will make toasty sleeping bag booties.
Got the North Face Down Booties are for camp and travelling....

Removed pictures now as slowing loading time :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
MSG for Tony realy!
Are we good to go,numbers wise!?
If you give us the nod I shall pay the outstanding amount
and get booking my flights!
Many thanks.
Chris.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
hi Mate, we still need another 5, there's quite a few info packs that have gone out and a number of people saying they're going to come, we're just waiting to see.

I'm surprised, especially due to the interest we got on here and via email, we'll see :D

if anyone is interested in coming to the Arctic because you want to have a great life experience let me know :D

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
I've just sent the money via bank transfer, so now all I need to worry about is how to get there :)

Hi PP - Note! The group deal discussed earlier was for the 2nd leg of the journey only.
As we did not get enough interest in time (10) the group deal quote lapsed.

Not sure of your departure port but seems many of us will meet up at Oslo (OSL) at some point for the second leg from Oslo to Bardufoss (BDU).
There is one carrier at this point, Norwegian.....

Ironically booking individually is £20/£30 cheaper than a group deal. However is does include two pieces of checked luggage and we all get to sit together.....(Bless)

The only thing I could suggest to everyone is that as soon as we get 10 names prepared to place a deposit down for a the Norwegian airlines flight that i ask for another quote....

BUT! prior to the end of the month I'll be booking the 2nd leg with Norwegian in any case as the price will probably go up....

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE