Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
This thread is for those that want to chat about the upcoming Arctic course in Feb 2010, use it for the discussion between yourselves on kit, flights, meeting up etc etc Whatever you want. Use the other thread about the course to ask us questions.

Gailainne

Life Member
How about, first off saying who has paid their deposit/full price, which will give us an idea of numbers, we need 10 for the Norwegian flight group discount deal (Oslo, Bardufoss), and it looks like a minimum of 12 for the course ?

So add your names here :D

Gailainne - paid in full

Gailainne

Life Member
About gear, its a difficult one, I was on the winter WEISS course in March last year, and our problem was, we didn't know how cold it was going to be, which was a big problem, because at -20 deg C the conditions change from wet to dry, which can change your gear choices a lot.

In the end I took clothes that I could layer, and made sure I had waterproof gear that would go on top if required. As a guide here's what I took;

Base layer;
Merino wool, the best quality at a decent price I could find, which at the time was Chocolatefish, I wore 2 layers of those.
I also bought and wore as a base merino wool boxers and longjohns from there.

Mid layer was a Ullfrotte top, I think a 200 gram, but I'll check.

Outer changed but it was mostly my BushcraftUK Ventile jacket with a down waistcoat over the top. Trousers were lined Craghoppers

I wore a winter buff around my neck, and usually merino/possum gloves and hat also from Chocolatefish. I also had Scandinavian winter leather gloves which came with 2 pairs of warm liners, only used them once as they got soaked because it was too warm (snow was wet), it averaged about -8 to -12 deg C, one night hit -20 with wind chill and the morning we left it was -13.

I had a set of army surplus gortex waterproofs with me as well in case I needed to throw them over the top.

Footware; I read up a lot about this, and finally decided on a pair of Sorel boots rated to -40 from Cabelas I think they worked out at £50 delivered !

Socks; I had merino thin socks as well as wool thicker ones, the boots themselves came with a lining that could be worn as a camp shoe.

Gaiters, get a good pair and make sure they fit whatever boots you buy, there is nothing worse than stepping into a deep pocket of snow without gaiters on, apart from thru ice into water (not recommended).

Hat is a russian style ski hat, ancient, but worked well
CIMG0024.jpg

Jacket is the Alpkit Filo down jacket
CIMG0058.jpg

I must admit I spent a fair amount on merino wool clothing, but it wasn't a bad buy, I use it all the time. The only time its not used is in the height of summer.

The only piece of equipment I haven't used since I got back, apart from the winter gloves, is the Sorel boots, even Scotland in the depths of winter would be too warm for those beasts.

Cheers

Stephen

some like it cold

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2009
forest of dean
Unfortunately not going to be able to do the trip as having trouble with my knee at the moment but i did a 7 day arctic survival challenge for charity in february

we were in sweden and temp varied between -19 and -34

in terms of gear i had a pair of salopettes from tk max and some thermals i got from a normal camping shop. i used liner socks as i have a problem with my feet sweating too much and then getting cold. I also had some flufy wellies (if theres one suggestion i would make its decent footware as this was the only part of me that got cold). for my top i had basic thermals a tshirt and a dale of norway jumper with the wind lining (was a free gift from a patient and absolutely amazing too hot most of the time)

i found as soon as we moved about i was stripping all my layers off as got too warm.

in terms of gloves i had some berghaus liners and cheap ski gloves but rarely wore them both at the same time.

because of the extreme cold it was all very dry so i never really wore a coat and the one i had was a cheap ski jacket. I discussed it all with Geoff Somers on the phone and he was very helpful (he has lots of experience in arctic and antarctica and he says he spends very little on kit its all about layering he gets his stuff from charity shops)

we stayed one night in a shelter we made which had insufficient insulation (not enough branches) and that was a very cold night where a few people started to get frostnip but in the ice hole the following night we were fine (unfortunately my snugpack antarctica bag didnt arrive until after i got back so had a -15 rated one + a liner +a bivvy bag and it was a bit cool dont think you can ever overdo the sleeping bag either but if u are staying in heated tents then no probs the one we had was great)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I am going,deposit paid!
I will be trying some Lowa type mountain boots with a wool felt foot bed
one and a half sizes too big (So not tight with double socks!)
Learnt my lesson from a trip last year,you need room in them tha boots!!
Anyone got their head around the flights yet!?
Is it a case of a kip in Oslo airport followed by a morning flight out to Badafoss?
Kit list mentions a small folding knife,are we not to bring our bushcraft knives along with us
or is the folder the minimum?
Cheers.
Chris

peve3

Sep 21, 2009
Basingstoke
Hi People,

Just joined the forum and saw the exped and had to instantly signup. Really looking forward to going now and done nothing like this before. Wondering where people are coming from I am based near Basingstoke. Maybe we can organise transport and group flight to keep costs down.

Also anyone interested in going a few days earlier to see a bit of oslo ?

skaus84

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 15, 2008
Liverpool UK
Still not sure if I can attend this with my university time table. Has anyone considered excess baggage charges? I don't have all my kit yet so not sure what the total weight will be when it's all packed.

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I've paid deposit and really looking forward to going
tryed invastigating flights but found it hard work - all seemed to be late flights on the Sunday
Thinking about spending saturday flying and then exploring Oslo
Not managed to find right flights but I think I need to fly from heathrow by the looks of it
Also wondered about access baggage costs - also interested to investigate keeping kit costs down

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Tony,are we being advised not to take our own bushcraft type knife with us?
It only mentions bringing along a folder!
Also anyone know if its a case of fly out from London Sat.,kip over in Oslo A/port and on again Sun. morning?
(would like to use the Norwegian airline if I can,hate to give a penny to Ryan air!!)
Cheers for now.
Chris.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Tony,are we being advised not to take our own bushcraft type knife with us?
It only mentions bringing along a folder!
Also anyone know if its a case of fly out from London Sat.,kip over in Oslo A/port and on again Sun. morning?
(would like to use the Norwegian airline if I can,hate to give a penny to Ryan air!!)
Cheers for now.
Chris.

I would imagine that the kit list is there just as a guide, you could take a pair of speedos and a snorkel if you so wished. It's your bag, put what you like in it.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I always wear speedos when 'out in the field! (seriously!!)
Are you going?
Chris.

Funnily enough I've been toying with the idea over the weekend. I've got a nipper on the way in March and want to squeeze in one more exped before it drops.

I was up there last year and it's a great place, would love to do some more Huskey sledding given the chance.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Yeah,the Huskey sledding did it for me too!
Got to do these things while you can fella!
(1st kiddee? I have two.)
My best.
Chris.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Hi Folks - Loads of sub topics on this thread, but here goes :rolleyes:

Flights
Here is some flight info I posted on a previous thread, still applies

FYI - Return flights from Oslo to Bardufoss via Norwegian... 133 Euro (Single booking NOT group booking)

I'll probably book the following, if anyone travelling from Hampshire (South or South West) is interested in this particular itinerary let me know as I'll be leaving my car at the airport.....Plenty of room as it is a big bottom Range Rover.

From London Heathrow (LHR) via Oslo (OSL) to Bardufoss (BDU)
Best synchronizing of flights I've found to date....(Norwegian DO NOT fly direct at this time of year)

Outbound leg 14th Feb 2010
Arrive LHR 0600
Depart LHR 0720 - Arr OSL 1030 (British Airways Flight)
Depart OSL 1315 - Arr BDU 1505 (Norwegian)

RV Bardufoss (BDU) arrivals 1530 14th Feb
HAVE LOADS OF FUN
Dropped of at BDU at 1300 20th Feb

Return leg 20th Feb 2010
Depart BDU 1415 - Arr OSL 1605
Depart OSL 1710 - Arr LHR 1840​

Equipment (Been shopping)
Clothes:-
2 x Merino base top
2 x Forces arctic base leggings
North Face (TNF) - Down Ice Jacket...toasty
TNF Lined snow trousers
Spare snow trousers

Feet
Sorel Ice boots -40c with standard liners (Long boots / top toggled like gaiters)
Additional 13mm Sorel liners for above boots (Can utilize standard liners as sleeping bag boots if required)
TNF Nuptse down camp boots (Toasty)
24 x self heating 8 hour foot warmers (Yep bought a shed load of spares)
Box of self heating warmers (Just in case of cold spots) :)
Several pairs of 1000 mile liner socks
Various light and medium gauge snow socks

Head / Hands
Insulated hat covers ears and neck, also has peak
Gloves (TO SORT)

Sleep Gear
12mm inflatable sleep mat
Arctic bag, large (Have got three spares if required)
Bivvi bag large (Have a couple of spares if needed)

Tools
Will bring blade and axe (Packed into checked luggage) (well I do make the damn things)
Not bringing full bore rifles on this occasion seeing as we are being provided with food.:rolleyes:
Might also bring a snow saw (Undecided)
Solar chargeable torch
Head torch
Uco candle lantern plus spare candles
Spare dry sacs (Keep boots / clothes / water etc in bivi bag)

Safety
A rather comprehensive medical kit, so it might be appendix with a nice Chianti......(Hissing noise between teeth)
TSE pain relief unit (Just in case)

Misc
Glacier glasses
Goggles
Towel - For ice dipping :(
Spare camera batteries (Batteries do not last long in these conditions)
Other gear as per list already posted.........

General Stuff
Anyone who is flying on a similar schedule to the above and will pass through North
Hampshire is welcome to leave their car at my house and join me en-route to the airport as it may save on airport parking and travel....
If anyone is struggling sorting an Arctic bag and bivvi let me know.

Tom

Gailainne

Life Member
I've been thinking about sleeping mats, when we did the winter WEISS we were issued with a maybe 10mm thick solid foam mat and a reindeer skin, tent floor was on the snow and we were on the tent floor, toasty. Wonder if the Bardufoss shops have a spare reindeer skin or 2 :D.

Checked the Exped downs mats as well (because that's what I have) the Exped 7cm down mat is good down to -24degC the 9cm is good to -38deg C, so that's another option.

According to the Norwegian web site we can do a group booking for 10 or more, but its a good price at 133 euros as is.

Stephen

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Any idea of the flight costs return to London? (133eros internal flights,I get that bit!)
Was a bed mat on the kit list? I had assumed they were provided (Not sure why!!)
Will check,but will check out these Exped mats of which you speak Stephen!
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE