Arctic 2010 Exped attendees discussions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Folks

Russ reccommended a book to ne called ' The Snow Walkers Companion' by Garrett and Alexandra Conover cost £12 on amazon and is worth every penny.
Its really factual and and informative with details of suppliers of equipment and covers everything to do with snowshoes and trekking on deep snow.
It even has patterns to make your own mukluks, mitts, anoraks and even wall tents.
Get yourself a copy - these people really know what they are talking about.
Highly reccommended

snowwalker.jpg

Cheers

Nick

Last edited:

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Has anyone managed to collate all the good pics and made then downloadable. If not the album site I put up I can give upload access if anyone wants a central place for pics.

Also a real shot in the dark, in the mayhem of packing up I left a small square zip up bag with a black merino base layer, HH pants, all fat boy size, if anyone picked it up I would happily pay the postage to get it back.

vinny

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Has anyone managed to collate all the good pics and made then downloadable. If not the album site I put up I can give upload access if anyone wants a central place for pics.

Also a real shot in the dark, in the mayhem of packing up I left a small square zip up bag with a black merino base layer, HH pants, all fat boy size, if anyone picked it up I would happily pay the postage to get it back.

vinny

Vinny - Why not email Rebecca at BC Expeditions and ask if she will forward a message to Odd Knut (our host), he may have it in the lost and found cabin :rolleyes:

Cheers
Tom

vinnyp68

Jun 14, 2009
Rainham
Ah, that sound right I think did leave it in the Sauna as I took clean stuff in and changed out of that and put it in that pack.

Good call, I will email Rebecca, thanks guys

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
could some people maybe post a list (picture) of all the kit they took and explain what items they used and did not use and wished they brought along?

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Rucksacks:

Sabre 45, with two side pouches. Total capacity 75 litres. Spare capacity ~5 litres.
(http://www.rvops.co.uk/karrimor-sf-sabre-45-og-1806.html)
+ About the right size
+ Robust
- Heavy

Virga “Ultralight” rucksack which packs down into the size of a grapefruit. Capacity up to 40 litres. Spare capacity – all (used as daypack) (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/virga.html)
+ Packs into the main bag when not in use
+ Ultralight
- No external tie points for shovels etc
- Relative lack of separate compartments

Clothing:

Paramo Alta II jacket – Waterproof (very useful for the region; it rained on day two, and the temperature fluctuated far more than we were expecting). Waterproofs in the early part of the week were a must.(http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3721)
+ Huge Pockets
+ Waterproof
+ Vents well
- Not “fire friendly”
- Relatively delicate (about the same as “Gore Tex”)

Mountain Equipment down jacket (http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acat...ENT_CLASSIC_LIGHTLINE_DOWN_JACKET__2008_.html)
+ Packs down well
+ Very warm
+ Splashproof
- Punctures easily, thus was worn as an inner layer
- Too warm when undertaking activity
- Too short (climbing model) to be used as posterior warmth

Arcteryx Wool Jumper
+ Robust
+ Central zip useful for venting
- Expensive

Paramo Cascada Trousers (http://www.paramo.co.uk/en-gb/garments/detail/index.php?pgc=NIKWAXANALOGYTROUSERSCASCADAMENS)
+ Waterproof & windproof
+ Reliable
- Not fire friendly
- No cargo pockets

Crag Hoppers lined cargo trousers
+ Cheap
+ Good selection of pockets
- Needed waterproof garments, otherwise when things got wet, they soon froze up

Icebreaker GT Top
+ Merino Wool
+ Central zip useful for venting
+ Comfortable
- Expensive

Icebreaker long johns
+ Merino wool
- Expensive

Icebreaker glove liners
+ Excellent for a “last layer” to keep your hands from getting stuck to things, or manipulate cameras
+ Excellent dexterity
- Not windproof, so unsheltered, the wind cuts through like they aren’t there
- Length of one finger a bit dubious

Ortovox Antarctica Mitts
+ Durable
+ Waterproof
- Take a while to dry, as inner two layers are made from wool
- Almost too hot, with only two of three layers were ever worn

Sorrell Caribou boots
+ Warm, when dry
+ Large footprint reduces chance of puncturing the “crisp” layer of snow, thus sinking to the bottom
- Although “waterproof” was emblazoned along the side, they weren’t actually waterproof (this was their second outing, and weren’t proofed in-between.
- No integral gaiters

Mountain Equipment Gaiters
+ Goretex Proshell works in these temperatures, despite what you may read online
+ Lets no snow in
- Due to size of boots, takes an age to put on

Generic “Thinsulate” hat
+ Could be pulled over eyes when sleeping in snow grave
+ Not windproof, which was good, as could be coupled with a hood if too cold to make it windproof, or leave the hood off to vent a little faster.
- Not that fashionable

Ulfrotte Balaclava
+ Useful as a hat/scarf
- Opening a little too wide and needed something to protect the nose – this was a big item I was missing and I regretted it on the last night when I slept in the snow grave. At one stage I woke up thinking I had frostnip on my nose...

Cyclone Buff
+ Multiple uses
+ Windproof section
- Too warm for use during activities

Equipment:

Olympus 1030u “Waterproof and freezeproof camera”
+ Waterproof
+ Excellent for those “quick shots” where you just want a photo without loosing the feeling in your fingers
- Sometimes the lens cover would freeze up
- The batteries weren’t freezeproof and needed replenishing once a day

Canon G9
+ Good for photographing the northern lights
- Too much “faff” required, which ended up hurting out in the cold, generally the “auto” settings were used, especially when the temperature started dropping significantly

Stainless steel Mora “Clipper” in fluorescent orange
+ Cheap
+ Hard to loose
- Questionable style, but hey, at least I didn’t loose it 

Laplander
+ Does what it needs to
- Harder to grasp with mitts on, but still manageable

Gorillapod
+ Excellent little tripod for the cameras, especially for the “longer” shots
+ Fitted into the chest pocket of the Alta II jacket, along with the two cameras.

Low Profile Goggles (UVEX)
+ Lightweight
+ Always around my neck
+ Used as “insulation” when sleeping in the snow grave!
- Not as good as the ski goggles (which were a noname brand, used for husky event) but otherwise pretty good

Cheap Flask
+ Cheap
- Nasty, also needed to be about 1 litre in size

Sleeping:

Mountain Equipment Snowline Sleeping Bag (http://www.supertent.co.uk/product_...-cold&osCsid=bf7473bf0c7a28084c2705caf05afc26)
+ Rated down to -20 comfort, but was comfortable down to -37 (or whatever the last night was) whilst sleeping in a snow grave. Rated extreme down to -37, so I can confirm it’s okay to that (although I did throw my two jackets over the top of me...)
+ DWR coating seems to be almost waterproof
- Very expensive

Silk Sleeping Bag Liner
+ Makes the bag warmer
+ A bit of luxury
- A faff to get into/ out of

Terra Nova “Flo2” fabric bivvi bag
+ Fabric is still gas permeable (i.e. you zip it up and breathe through it) even in those conditions
- Expensive
- Whilst it fits me (I’m 6’ 2”, the hood was not quite large enough to fit my boots and daypack whilst keeping them covered. I could get the boots in only.)

Thermarest “Z-Rest”
+ Easy to fold out, with no “curl”
+ Lightweight
- Snow gets stuck in the egg-box shaped profile, but can be shaken out easily

What I want next time:

Nose protection, especially when the wind is in your face, even the ski goggles didn’t make a difference.

Second choice would be better choice boots with integrated gaiters. The Sorrell’s were forever getting wet after I bounded around.

What I think was the “best” of the bunch:

Alta II jacket – It’s the most unstylish thing known to man, but it just works

Mountain Equipment Snowline Sleeping bag – Excellent thing kept me from freezing in my four nights in the snow grave when other bags were giving up the ghost. The baffles are great too.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
By contrast to Agiles kit setup I have tried t avoid the man made materials as much as possible

Rucksacks

Web-Tex PLCE bergan with side pockets in DPM 120lt worked perfectly & held exactly 20kg of kit on the way in same going out with an additional reindeer skin

MOD Issue 35lt patrol pack which was fine but the straps were fiddly to work with cold hands

Clothing

200g Ulfrotta merino wool base layers which were brilliant – worn continuously for all 6 days including at night. Was too hot at night till the temperature dropped below -20C

Another set of lighter synthetic Parallel baselayers was taken as spare but never used – cant say whether they were any good or not

Swanndri wool bush shirt worn as mid layer all the time except when walking – brilliant kit

BCUK Ventile jacket worn as outer shell layer all the time – superb, never wet never sweaty – zips really needed big tabs to use with mitts on

Swanndri Mosgiel coat – only needed when it got really cold & worked very well

Fjellraven Forester COTTON trousers – excellent – (and they didn’t kill me)

Spare Craghopper trousers only worn on the plane home but very comfy

Dachstein felted wool mitts – brilliant – ive had these for over 30 years and are good as the day they were bought

Army cold weather mitts and inners – taken as spares & never used so I don’t know how good they were

Thinsulate golfing beany hat – did fine

Meindl Erebus mountain Boots leather & goretex uppers & vibram sole. Standing around got a little cold but walking they were great – never got sweaty feet or wet socks at all – a little stiff in the cold mornings

Brasher thick hiking socks 100% wool – only wore one pair including in bed – were excellent & never needed to put on a second pair

Army canvas OG gaiters – worked well even though the front hooks tore off – well worth the tenner

Sleeping

Doss bag – Snugpak SF Combo – worked extremely well - & was never cold in bed – too warm on occasion – bit heavy but worth it
Army OG goretex Bivvie bag – crap & got melted by a candle – hate the things

Thermarest – excellent

Equipment

Camera – don’t even ask

Cheap thermos flask – great when filled with hot chocolate

Gransfors Swedish Carving axe – good & took three trees down with ease – would have preferred my Scandinavian forest axe

Folding bush saw – great – and my own design too – hem hem

Took but didn’t use

Buff, bandanna, spare tee shirts & underwear, roll mat,p**s bottle,

Cheers
Nick

Last edited:

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
BCUK Ventile jacket worn as outer shell layer all the time – superb, never wet never sweaty – zips really needed big tabs to use with mitts on....
Cheers
Nick

I'll second that.

From what I saw of Nick's ventile jacket, that thing looked really excellent, and was tough as old boots. There was some jealousy when he decided to drag himself through anything remotely like brambles/spiky stuff.

I think that will be added to my "to do" list shortly....

Cheers,

Ag

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Excellent. I think Chris the Cat has written a joik for Megan which I believe he is going to perform and upload soon.

Any progress Cat?

barryasmith

Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Its too full of longing...!
..Not sure I can unveil it!!
C da C.

Cat, I spoke to my tailors this afternoon - They are going to pimp up the snow smock for me. Reduce hood volume, change cuffs from button to velcro, add funky ribbon to the bottom. Will let you know how it goes.

horn buttons and shock cord getting fitted this weekend by me.

Speak soon.

Baz

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Right, I know I've been sloppy getting this uploaded, but it's finally up for all to see.

Here's a full dump of all the photos which came out. I've tried to straighten them up, put the contrast where it should be and also sort out the million red-eye problems my happy snap causes.

There are some videos in there including NickG's funky waddle with his snow shoes :) There's also a pretty good one of the room with the yoiking (but only of the back of the yoiker) and of our signal fire going up in smoke :)

Enjoy!

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/114359534653022668439/Arctic2010#

Ag

Woody

Forager
Hi Guys, (and Gal!)

Becky has sent out an email requesting where you would like your Arctic certificate sent. If you haven’t replied by the requested date they will be sent to the address on your next of Kin forms. To see what they look like please go to this link

Bushcraft Expeditions

and click the additional information button (No password required) that is at the bottom of the buttons on the right of the page.

Also, If you would like to have your images/video included on the Expedition DVD please forward them to the office on a CD … to date one person has sent them in!!

Cheers

Woody

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE