Zippo Hand Warmer.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
Anyone got a Zippo Hand Warmer ;-

http://www.heinnie.com/t4zbag103950...s/Zippo/Zippo-Hand-Warmer/p-484-621-714-4633/

Does it work as advertised?

"The Zippo Hand Warmer is a perfect accessory to combat the chill, no matter what your outdoor activity.

It uses premium lighter fluid to produce more than ten times the heat as traditional models and lasts for up to 24 hours. Plus, it comes with a one-year guarantee.

Sleek, compact design fits easily into pockets, gloves or pants without the bulk of other warmers.
No Flame. The platinum-catalyzed glass fiber burner offers quick and sure lighting. Produces a radiant heat without the flame.
Extra Warmth. Produces more than 10 times as much heat as most disposable warmers.
Economical. Constant warmth for up to 24 hours with just 0.4 oz of fuel.
Environmentally friendly. Reusable (except for the burner) and virtually pollution free. Low odor makes it ideal for hunters!
Convenient size. Thin profile makes the Hand Warmer easy to use and carry. "

Cheers.

I have one, I mainly use it in a hand muff while sitting in my Deer blind. It works great. I like it better then the packaged ones ( it's warmer, imo )

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
When and why are they supposed to be used? I don't get the idea behind a hand warmer. If you're on the move your body heat plus gloves does the trick. If you're static, gloves and pockets should also be sufficient. And if you're planning on staying somewhere for a longer period then obviously you'll have a nice fire and a cup of tea to warm you up.

I bet I'm just being stupid, but I really don't get when and how are they supposed to be used.

Well I can't comment for others , but i intend to use it for my Cat! Like Emily and Bagpuss , I love my cat very,very much!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIAFMrtXLw

So the handwarmer will be going under her bed.

EDIT;- Subject to it being vetted and tested by me for safety.

Last edited:

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Well I can't comment for others , but i intend to use it for my Cat! Like Emily and Bagpuss , I love my cat very,very much!!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSIAFMrtXLw

So the handwarmer will be going under her bed.

EDIT;- Subject to it being vetted and tested by me for safety.

Oh! that's a smart idea! I actually might get one for my cat poor thing seems to spend most of her day jumping from radiator to radiator. :p

What about fumes though? I'm not sure how healthy are gas fumes (although I understand they are catalytic) so close to any small animal's nose/face.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Oh! that's a smart idea! I actually might get one for my cat poor thing seems to spend most of her day jumping from radiator to radiator. :p

What about fumes though? I'm not sure how healthy are gas fumes (although I understand they are catalytic) so close to any small animal's nose/face.

Yeah , Fumes MAY be an issue , but i will be having a long hard play with it before i 'give' it to her.

Needing to ask what they’re for shows you’ve never sat in a blind in a Canadian winter.

Got one (Zippo) for Yule, and it’s a great little item.

I intend to make a new pouch for it though so that I can hang it around my neck, and adjust exactly where I hang it, to warm up different areas.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Needing to ask what they’re for shows you’ve never sat in a blind in a Canadian winter.

Got one (Zippo) for Yule, and it’s a great little item.

I intend to make a new pouch for it though so that I can hang it around my neck, and adjust exactly where I hang it, to warm up different areas.

Heh, guilty as charged... I think I'm getting the idea now...

It’s true, if I’m hiking, it’s pretty much counterproductive. But if I know I’m going to sit still for hours in a blind in -15°C weather waiting to take a photo (an instance when a fire isn’t really appropriate), it’s a wonderful thing.

While there isn’t really an on-off switch on it, taking it out of the fleece pouch and exposing it to the cold air will cause it to go out.

It comes with a cute little filling bottle, but I’m going to do some more experimenting with quantities and how long they’ll burn for. Having to take a bottle of fuel and the filling bottle, is too bulky. I’ll fill a dropper bottle with lines on it to indicate say an hour, two, etc. to make it a little more convenient.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
I've got a couple of these, though one is officially SWMBO's.

I would say that they're of limited use as a pocket warmer - don't get me wrong, they work just fine like that, but they are warmer & more warming when tucked in a wasteband (front or rear). sounds a bit weird I suppose, but warm kidneys are good, and the warming effect between naval and todge is very effective.

I recently hammocked at -4C and just kept one between my feet - very very effective and welcome!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE