Zip off trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zip-off Trousers?

• Yes

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have had a couple of pairs only. I voted Yes though because I have a pair of Colombia Silver Ridge that did very well on expeditions doing somewhat rougher duty than just sight seeing.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It's only a tentative 'yes' from me, I'm afraid. They are versatile-ish but zipping the bottom bits on and off can be a faff and, to be honest, having zips on the thighs of a pair of trousers generally provides better/more effective ventilation. However, camping after a day's paddling, where the bottom half of the trousers would get wet for all sorts of reasons, it is a comfort to zip on the lower half and keep the mozzies and midges at bay.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A consensus seems to be forming.
I always associate zip-off trousers with people who say things like (in your best John Major/wally voice) 'Always pays to be prepared for any eventuality!'
Assuming that it's just a slightly altered comfort-related sense of emergency.
But today, whilst out, I suddenly saw a purpose for them. I'd been walking through some thick bush, where you'd want something covering your legs, but when I got to where I was aiming for, which was open downland, I wanted to feel the wind and sun on my legs.
Anyway, I've sobered up now.
I gave myself a stern talking to, and a necessary slap, and like any sane person I can see they are the work of Satan.

Reactions: Brizzlebush

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Use them in summers in France because of versatility. Reduces amount of kit taken when travelling but also agree with many of the negatives expressed above. Like most compromises, they are second best to shorts and trousers.

I don't really like shorts but do find trousers too hot above 30C.

Reminds me of the remark made by Australian when asked why he didn't wear trousers to protect his legs from thorny bush.
"Nah, shorts is best. Cloth rips and has to be mended. Flesh heals naturally!"

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Himself wears them in Summer and Autumn. He walks hills, but he has to travel to and from the hills, iimmc ? and at the end of the walk in the evening there are midgies :sigh:
So, full breeks to get there, legs off to walk/climb/, and legs back on for relief from the midgies and the ticks at lower levels, and to travel home again.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I like them, I took 3 pairs to a Scout Jamboree. Put a pair of bottom legs in my day sack so I could always extend the legs when it dropped cold/midges start biting.
Still have a couple of pairs I use on holiday in warm countries for the same reason, useful when out all day and night.
Had one pair that had two zips on each leg, 3/4 and 1/2 didn’t like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not for me. I used to use some but in every environment I have worked, trekked, and roamed in, they have been far from ideal. In arid countries loose fitting trousers are just as cool and protect your legs from the sun and insects. In woodland, long trousers protect your legs from plant stings, thorns and insect stings (including ticks). On the hills long trousers protect your legs from insects and ticks. I don't do shorts any more for all the above reasons.

It has nothing to do with me not having 'kilt' quality legs I promise :)

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
They save a lot of weight if you need both options. But they are expensive and if you rather use them as shorts and keep the legs just in case in your rucksack they fade out differently, especially if used in the sun.
They are practical on long rucksack journeys and if you have to count in midges. Most offered ones aren't midges proof though.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I was a no till I bought some Fjallraven Keb gaiter trousers at £200 ish reduced a bit in the sales as and when.
These also have a hook at the bottom front edge to stay put on your laces which gets cut off cos I'm short and hurts when tucked into wellies if left on, have a stretch drawcord at top of calf height so you can be unzipped but the calf section stays up which I don't use and the toggle digs into your leg when squatting, but the most important bit is they have full thigh length vent zips as well as zip off lower legs. No mesh covering the vent unfortunately.
So when it's super hot I can be beshorted and vented even sitting in a vehicle with the sun coming through the windscreen onto my lap, and fully covered if it's chilly/midgy/ticky with one pair of trews. You can also have thigh vents mostly open and half unzip the knees if some protection is still needed when it's hot. Very handy on a trip. Shorts with decent pockets and belt loops are not common perhaps?
Despite claims of super tough G1000 with reinforced XYZ, I have still worn out crotch and knees but they do get a lot of use. More if they weren't silly expensive, I'd just wear these.
I did visit The Sporting Lodge just when they were setting up shop since they used to have the discount on these and found sizing across the Fjallraven range varies a lot whilst trying on everything they had in stock. In the same size some wouldn't get past thighs, so try on in person if the silly price is acceptable.

Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have one pair that is basically for sun screen, very thin PA, acts as a wind blocker to certain degree so I often carry these in the summer just in case when wearing shorts. Do not take much room and very light weight.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Can’t get on with them, they chaff ones legs & are uncomfortable when doing a lot of knee bending.
I’d rather stuff a pair of shorts in my kit just in case.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I should have read the thread properly before voting. When I did my stage show ( years ago) my costume only had zips as Velcro was not such a big thing then. Zip off trousers, amongst things , do work on stage but I worked with a slower sound track then they do now.....

{ Maybe, just maybe I was joking...}

• Haha
Reactions: Minotaur

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I like them for their versatility, handy for holidays or hillwalking in tick infested areas or when need shorts if the weather turns hot on a trip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE