Zebra Kettle boiled dry, safe to use?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
:eek:
I normally use a wee fire to boil my water when out and about, but thought I'd dig out a gas stove I haven't used for a long time. Stuck the kettle on and then got caught up in something else:nono: I know blokes shouldn't try to multitask and this just reinforces that.

Anyway the kettle boiled dry and got very hot, so that even the plastic knob was starting to smell. I know, I know....
So the kettle is not so shiny and after a couple of washes and reboils it's still marked on the inside.
Knowing nothing much about metals I'd like some advice on whether it's safe to use or needs chucking in the recycling?

Cheers
Andrew

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Cheers guys.
It's a kettle rather than a billy can, so the plastic bit is a knob right on the top rather that the removable plastic bits you get on the sides of the billy cans.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
No it's absolutely useless now, it will have to be properly disposed of too...

Send it to me and I'll deal with it for you.
winking0052.gif

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> the kettle boiled dry and got very hot, so that even the plastic knob was starting to smell. <<<

So the kettle is not so shiny and after a couple of washes and reboils it's still marked on the inside.
Knowing nothing much about metals I'd like some advice on whether it's safe to use or needs chucking in the recycling?

Unless you have perforated the metal, your kettle should be fine to use :cool: . If it now has holes, then you have a zebra collinder :p

For 'Royaly Stuffed' check this out ~ scroll down to the pot :yikes: .

Cheers guys.
It's a kettle rather than a billy can, so the plastic bit is a knob right on the top rather that the removable plastic bits you get on the sides of the billy cans.

How is it kept in place? If there's a hole in the lid, then there's scope for (easy) modding :headbang: .

Last edited:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Thanks Wayland, I'll bear that in mind...
and decorum, scary link, good job my kettle is stainless steel rather than aluminium. There's no hole on the lid to attach the knob so don't know how it stays on. The knob isn't damaged so no need to mod it, it's hard plastic, almost like the old bakelite stuff.

Still getting a powdery residue on the inside of the kettle which is what worried me in case it was one of the non-iron components of stainless steel which might not be so healthy in the diet....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it's not leaking then I should think it's fine, maybe burn some pitchy pine wood through it and get a good layer build up inside.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> scary link, good job my kettle is stainless steel rather than aluminium. <<<

It is quite an impressive burn through, isn't it :yikes: .
I have a feeling that the pan was designed specifically to 'get the most out of the burner' :yikes: :lmao: .

>>> There's no hole on the lid to attach the knob so don't know how it stays on. The knob isn't damaged so no need to mod it, it's hard plastic, almost like the old bakelite stuff. <<<

:lmao: No _Need_ to mod ~ wash your mouth out! :lmao:

>>> Still getting a powdery residue on the inside of the kettle which is what worried me in case it was one of the non-iron components of stainless steel which might not be so healthy in the diet.... <<<

Erm ... not sure on the powdery residue? Very fine wire wool?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why would it not be safe to use? Would you throw a domestic saucepan away if it burned dry? Of course its safe (even if it was aluminium).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE