Zebra Billy cans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
There was a short thread recently under Group Buys. It died because there was some debate about the best size to buy. So can I ask this. For, say 2 people, but ocassionally one, what would be the best size to buy? There has been a whisper that I might get one from Santa this year so I am keen to give the correct answer if I'm asked! ;)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
it depends if you are cooking for just yourself or others
will it be just for you?
leon

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm looking at cooking for 2 people mostly but on ocassion it might be a solo trip with either a rucksack or in the canadian canoe.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
maybe a 14 cm
im sure others will be along aswell to help you choose
leon

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think the answer is 12. Or 14. :D 12 is the size I have and it's a good size for on my own. I have seen people use a 10cm though, but a 10 looks like it was made for an action man to me. 14 would give you more room for two of you, but you'd just about manage with a 12 I think. It mainly depends on your ratio of solo to two man trips I reckon.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I would go for the 12cm billy. I have one and it's more than adequate for me, and would be big enough for two when needed without taking up a load of room in your pack. Remember though that you only get one dish per billy so when you are using it for you and a pal you will need another bowl or one of you will have to eat directly from the billy.

I have included 3 pics to show size comparison with a regular (400g) tin of soup. Hope this helps, ATB....Stu

dscn1335fp8.jpg

dscn1336hq6.jpg

dscn1337zl2.jpg

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
sxmolloy,
Thanks for your help. I now think I might need the 12& 14 to cover all eventualities. Hope Santa is understanding this year! :)

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
rik_uk3 said:
I have to ask, what makes the Zebra pots so good? How is the price justified?

Hi Rik.

I know that some places charge "a fair few bob" for Zebra billies but I came across mine on E-Bay and managed to get it for £8, compared to other sites where they are going for approx £15 I simply had to have it :rolleyes:

Also RM uses them.... :D :)

I have to admit though that I don't own any other billy so can't really compare.

ATB....Stu

Feral

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 7, 2006
Victoria
Down here they retail for around $30au but I bought on last week for $14au, which is around 5pound.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just measured them filled with water to the brim (note, not working capacity, but total capacity)...

10cm = 750 mls (500 mls realistically = 1.25 tins of beans)
Hardcore this one. Really too small for much more than a brewup - same total capacity as a crusader cup. OK for a daypack, the genuinely hardcore bushcrafter or the space concious backpacker, but for most I would think it's fiddly small for anything other than boil in the bag. The inner tray isnt really worth having. This billy makes a good companion to British Army mess tins.

12cm = 1250 mls (1000mls realistically = 2.5 tins of beans)
Best size for backpacking IMO. One luxury sized toilet roll fits perfectly inside without the inner tray. Fits well on westwinds, mini trangia and Clikstand stoves. Smallest size you can actually "cook with" IMO. The inner tray, though small is functional as a bowl or small frying pan for maybe 2 sausages. Fine on it's own, but luxury cooking with mess tins.

14cm = ?
Dont know, I havent got one.

16cm = 2750 mls (2400mls realistically = 6 tins of beans)
McMears family bucket - at almost 3 litres, almost the whole capacity of a large camelback - too big for backpacks, but great for car camping. The inner tray is huge, full roast dinner on this no worries. A good functional steaming tray, or use as a frypan for your full english. You could cook a chillie for 6 people in the main billy.

Reactions: Moonraker

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I find that my battered old 14cm is just about the perfect size for soups and stews etc for 2 or 3 people. I only bother to clean the inside of it too.

P1040131.jpg

Just to fill the gap in Martyns measurements, the 14 has a capacity of 2100mls to the brim, say about 1600mls realistically. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I use a 14 cm zebra billy, and they are perfect for two. Also, my optimus nova + fits in perfectly for if I go with that. I am at the moment trying to get my welder to make a similar windshield as the Swedish Army Trangia, but circular and 14 cms in diameter, then I will have all the options I want with just one billy can! It is also good for use solo, but I take the billy can and a crusader mug, and if I am cooking in the billy, I brew up by putting a crusader full of water on the edge of the fire. I also use one of those flexible mugs as I think a full crusader mug is a bit too much for a single brew!!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
rik_uk3 said:
I have to ask, what makes the Zebra pots so good? How is the price justified?

They are pretty heavy duty so part of what you pay for is robustness. But personally I do find them a little on the heavy side, given their size. This is good, bad, or both, depending on your needs and perspecitives. :)

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Good bit of kit!

I got a 16cm of ebay for about £8, wish I had got a 12 or a 14 though, it is pretty big, but holds my stove and a few other bits so not too much of a hassle. Fed four big blokes from it whilst up in the lakes car camping.

Best feature is the locking handle, makes it much easier to get it out of the fire. They are made in thailand and our cheap as chips over there, so if you have any family members going on a gap year of whatever, get them to post you one over.

If anyone wants to trade a 16 for a 14 or 12 pm me!

Cheers,

Buckley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE