Zebra Billy Can Modifications

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Has anyone here ever modified their Zebra Billy Can Handle for ease of packing and how, I was just wondering if I could replace the steel handle with a couple of ring clips and a steel chain, the plastic clips are long gone "melted in the first open fire “and the handle no longer stands up by itself anyway and normally just falls to one side and gets very hot especially on an open fire. I don’t really want to replace the pot as my Trangia cooker with the lightweight alloy wind shield fits inside almost perfectly.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I replaced the bail handle with stainless steel wire, it's rigid enough not to flop over but flexible enough to be tucked out the way when packing.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Go to B&Q or similar and pick up some teleflex cable.
It's the stuff they make brake cables for bikes from.
Also get some brass tubing.
You want it to have an internal diameter large enough to take two thicknesses of the teleflex.
using a dremel or similar, grind off the rivets holding on the handle and discard.

Cut two lengths of the brass tube about 1/2" long and thread onto the cable.
Then feed the cable ends through the holes on the side of the billy can that the plastic clips attached to.
Feed the free ends of the cable back through the brass tubing, then crimp the tube with a pair of pliers.
Ensure that the loops are big enough to flip down over the bail mounting points before you crimp, if its too tight it won't work properly.

Best photos I have on hand are these ones.

You should be able to see from that what I mean.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When Zebra pans were part of the bushcraft uniform and in fashion five or six years ago, people used brake cable as a hanging bale a lot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE