youth of today, their understanding

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fluxus

Forager
Jan 23, 2004
heaven
Begging your pardon then Chris for repeating something I found pertinent when I had to fork out £500 for insurance to work in the woods with the yoof of today. I'm afraid I haven't read and memorised every post in the BCUK archive!

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
One thing about this thread is, as a friend said to me recently is that when you get over 40, you slowly start to realise that youth is wasted on the young....!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sorry Fluxus, :roll: didn't mean to sound cross :oops: !!

If it had been in the archive I wouldn't have said a thing, but it was about 5 threads down in the same forum area, being posted to on the same day by some of the same people.

I know what you mean about the insurance stuff. My mum ran into the same problem taking sub-18 year olds to give a hand in a local wood. That sort of ruling is :***: She would have had to have back ground checks run by the police too. :rant:

Thing is, its not the yoofs' fault. Some busy-body in some bureacratic organisation makes that kind of decision. Chances are that person was brought up in the age that the web site is talking about.

Cairodel, you have me worried, :wink: I have been thinking that for a while, and I haven't hit 30 yet :yikes: I am doomed!!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
C_Claycomb said:
I know what you mean about the insurance stuff. My mum ran into the same problem taking sub-18 year olds to give a hand in a local wood. That sort of ruling is :***: She would have had to have back ground checks run by the police too. :rant:

IIRC it's the criminal records people (CRB) that do the background checks. I've had the pleasure of going through it

Didn't the people getting old have a student loan. I have a grant which I pay back. I also pay the tutor fees in my third year when I'm in industry. I wont be in the uni so why do I have to give them £1200

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Some people were awarded a grant but back then it was much much harder to get into uni, :naughty: we also had things called polytechnics where less accademic studies took place but these seem to have all become universities now. We also had apprentaships, alas with the demise of the U.K. manufacturing industry a large amount of these jobs have now gone to the far east.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cairodel...i could say that Adulthood is lost on Adults! Buying beer without getting ID-ed, ave. of £25000 a year to spend on whatever! And cheaper Car insurance (not my £600 odd a year :censored: ) ( :wink: ) Don't worry, i don't honestly believe it.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Andy said:
*girls can do what they want at school and nobody will think it's odd if they choose wood work or physics
You reckon? I never once read anything other than "she's lying" in people's faces when I told complete strangers at bus stops that I'm doing physics...

I should also add that at age five I proved that you can still damage yourself on a roundabout when I crawled under it, raised my head slightly too far and was hit by a fast-moving bolt... ;) I still don't know if there's a scar from that because my hair is in the way. ;)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Emma, Why on earth would you do physics? I did and it had serious effects in later life... I found myself arguing with a dixons employee the other day because he said the mp3 player I purchased had no moving parts... I explained to him that electrons have mass and he looked confused. You'll end up doing that :yikes:

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Physics :shock: :shock: :shock:

Never could do it, same with maths, and biology, and chemistry. I got my C's in all of them and forgot everything! I'm more like an artsy kid, except i don't do art, drama and english. The anomoly (sp?) is Philosophy!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Well...I hate to be a nattering nabob of negativity but... :rolmao:

I do agree totally that we all have a lot to be thankful for today. Great healthcare access and all the toys we could ever want. But...I grew up in an age where people never locked their doors and the rivers and lakes were a lot cleaner. I hitchhiked all across the US and western Canada and hopped freight trains across the western US as well and never feared for my life at any time.

All of the woods I used to roam as a kid have fallen to the bulldozer and plow. The extinction of species on our planet is taking place at an exponential rate. We have great fishing here in the Great Lakes region but the fish are loaded with parasites and toxic chemicals. And as for healthcare, because of our increased population size and encroachment on the wilderness, new types of diseases are emerging and spreading rapidly. We have nearly exhausted the effectiveness of antibiotics to the point that going to the hospital for a routine operation could result in getting a life-threatening, highly resistant bacterial infection. I could go one but I hate to be negative... :rolmao: Did I mention the dwindling fossil fuel supply? :?: :wink:

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
Squidders said:
I found myself arguing with a dixons employee the other day because he said the mp3 player I purchased had no moving parts... I explained to him that electrons have mass and he looked confused. You'll end up doing that :yikes:
What a great idea! Thanks Squidders! :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE