Your time to fire(steel)?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

If you wandered into the woods with just a firesteel, how long before you had a wee fire started?

• <5min Piece of pee - less than five minutes, easy!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • 5-20min Within 20 minutes (on a dry day with dry materials?)

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • 20-40min I’d want ½-hour or so, to be sure

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • >40min It might take a while, but I’d get it done eventually

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • unsure If I’m honest, I’m not confident enough with a firesteel to know that I’d succeed every time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How big a fire ?
I can make a flare up in under five minutes in those conditions but I'd be scurrying about like a spider in a midge cloud trying to get enough firewood to keep it going much.

• Haha
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
Brilliant, drop a spark into a bunch of bushcrafters and.....:lmao:

I'm with most answers here. 5-20 mins for a twig fire without pre-prepared tinder.

Reactions: Toddy

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have done this a number of times on my own for a coffee, and one time timed after jumping in a cool/cold river. For me it would still be around the 5 min mark, ideally in birch woodland.

You will be amazed how fast you can collect and light a fire when you need too.

But in not ideal surroundings it would be 5 - 20 mins

Aug 12, 2020
Northern Sweden
Its much depending on the enviroment. In a pine forest like I live in now, I think Id get one going in less than five minutes. But then I need fuel to keep it going and so on offcourse. Its hard to tell. Never been in a situation where I needed to get it going really fast, I like to take my time. But with fatwood always at hand from the twigs, its really easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE