Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
In my humble opinion the only important thing, is do I enjoy the picture or not.

I happen to enjoy these, if I didnt I would move on and look at others. To me discussing the merrits of art might just be the definition of a quandary.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I'm not sure the technicalities of composing the shot are a complete defense.
Let's take the pictures you have just presented, and Wayland's montage as well, as example.
In your first picture I (note the use of the first-person personal pronoun - this is undoubtedly MY PERSONAL view. Others, quite rightly, will differ. That should go without saying) think you have perfectly captured the movement and power of the water.
However, why the smoky water effect fails for me is its very unreality. I think it fails, is wrong, or (a better distinction) does not communicate with me is because this effect renders it something other than water. To me it does not reflect the movement of water, it doesn't even look like water any more. Hence the 'smoky' adjective. Oh yes, I know that image, movement, emotion, etc has connotation and doesn't have to be literal, but for my aesthetic the smoky water effect still does not convey the literal or metaphoric aspects of water. It's not water at all.
Same with Wayland's henge/raven/clouds confection. Technically it is unimpeachable. But as I look at images like that I find myself checking the corners for the Disney channel logo.
When I look at the picture you took of the shell on the beach or the man standing on the concrete box amid the grass, both of those have interpretative qualities rather than a literal rendering and both speak to me with a far clearer voice about the landscape and what it meant to you than the Disney-like effects used elsewhere. They communicate with me.

Again, to underline it all, this is how I personally react to such tinkering in this context (I'm sure there are some contexts when this sort of thing is exactly right). The person standing next to me may well think quite differently. The artist almost certainly feels differently to me. But the fact that I, and maybe someone else, disagrees with them means they have failed with this image to communicate their thoughts and feelings TO ME.
But that's no bad thing.

And another underlining.
I still love looking at the images people take and this thread is one of the very best things on this forum. So a sincere thanks to all for sharing the images. It matters not one whit whether one likes each individual image or not, the fact they're shared is a great thing, interesting, enjoyable, and I'm glad they're there.

Wander, I don't know whether you are deliberately trolling this thread (in which case, against my better judgement I'll " bite") or just demonstrating significant lack of self awareness in your comments.

As a professional writer, I assume that you would agree that context is very important and while your comments on this thread would be right at home in a slightly bitchy camera club, they are rather jarring in the context of a usually very relaxed, friendly and supportive corner of a bushcraft forum where the works of award winning photographers sit alongside more modest efforts by novice photographers.

Some of the techniques on display are beyond my ability and/or patience but others inspire me to make more time for a pass time I am passionate about.

Tastes are subjective and fashions change (I'm old enough to remember but pleased to say never used, those old Cokin filters which inserted a perfectly formed rainbow in any picture) and fortunately it is overcast here in not so sunny Wales so any catkin pictures I take won't have a distracting patch of sunlight in the background, skies will be a universal grey without any random contrails in and as I live on top of a hill the risk of worthy but dull pictures of fenland scenery is slight.

:)

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
You make Whitehaven look good Alf... ;)

An amazing town with an amazing history, sadly let down over many decades but hopefully dragging itself up by it's boot straps.

Some amazing photo's yet again.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My dog has disappeared. I left him right here and now I can't find the bugger anywhere :confused:

04.05.17s%20lost%20dog_zpsa0y0cyrm.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You make Whitehaven look good Alf... ;)

An amazing town with an amazing history, sadly let down over many decades but hopefully dragging itself up by it's boot straps.

Some amazing photo's yet again.

Thanks mate I appreciate the comment

My dog has disappeared. I left him right here and now I can't find the bugger anywhere :confused:

04.05.17s%20lost%20dog_zpsa0y0cyrm.jpg

Nice one

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
This was last night for me. Found a new spot, experimented with my first upside down fire and just sat and watched it burn down for a brew and a bit of cooking. Most relaxing... Straight from the phone.
e509c3d3812bb91c6286d1e8f8cf1e2d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE