Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
null_zps4c0964d1.jpg

Taken today while out shooting spotted this little guy

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
My pictures of the day. Wasp spider, from its only known site in Wales, which happens to be the Woodland Trust nature reserve that I'm the warden of. Discovered last year, and this is the first one for 2013.

9487223275_d20fc3bb7f_b.jpg

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Got out of bed this morning at half past 5 for a nice little solo trip. Spotted lots of barking roe deer but also this one:

Nice sunrise too:

And I ate a raw burdock root which was surprisingly tasty.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Nice pictures, Ayra! I like those old military cars. We have a Valp and are looking forward to a meeting in two weeks :)

From last weekend:
Edersee_0011.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I like the Bride of Frankenstein hair lightning bolt in its web. Is that a repair or how they do them?

It is called a stabilimentum, and no-one really knows what purpose it serves. Some think it strengthens the web (wasp spiders prey on grasshoppers, which are pretty powerful and can make a mess of a web when they struggle), some think it stops birds flying into the web (doesn't apply to wasp spiders because they make their web so low down), some think it makes it harder for predators to spot the spider sitting in the web (but wasp spiders are brightly coloured). The fact is: nobody really knows.

To the other question asked, yes they are orb spiders.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE