Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Arya, what is it your cooking up there?, always like to hear what folk are putting in stews as with different cultures you get different ideas.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Hahaha! Yeah, I suppose it could look like roadkill but it´s really good.

It is a very easy soup to make and I believe it is quite high on calories.
It is made from beef, carrots, cabbage, a sort of sweet dimple that is traditional for the area I come from, and this thing
MainImage.jpeg
. I don´t know the english name for this one ;)
You may add salt, pepper and other stuff you like. There are no rules :)

The meat is not "tenderloin-ish meat", but from the neck/wither, breast area or other similar areas.
I suppose you could make the soup with lots of other animals, like various roadkills, but I´m a sucker for delicious red meat so I always go for the ox ;)

The sweet dimples (we call them "klimper") are made from flour, eggs, sugar and milk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
click
LOL it's got various names, turnip, tumshie, swede, neeps, rutabaga, rapes, tourns and if you want to go all posh and French with the menu navets.
Looks like a good stew, full of good stuff. We do something similar with the addition of pearl barley .

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
You know, I had to try google translate for that thing, and the word rutabaga came up. It sounded crazy so I thought google was pulling my leg :D
Rutabaga! Really!?

How do you use the pearl barley? Do you make dimples of it?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You know, I had to try google translate for that thing, and the word rutabaga came up. It sounded crazy so I thought google was pulling my leg :D
Rutabaga! Really!?

How do you use the pearl barley? Do you make dimples of it?

Are dimples like dumplings?

With the pearl barley we just boil it in the soup/stew as a thickener and to bulk out the food cheaply. As a kid (and still to this day) it's my favourite part along with the leeks in Scotch broth (Soup).

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
click
LOL it's got various names, turnip, tumshie, swede, neeps, rutabaga, rapes, tourns and if you want to go all posh and French with the menu navets.
Looks like a good stew, full of good stuff. We do something similar with the addition of pearl barley .

Turnips and Rutabagas are actually two different (although similar) root veg. Rutabagas are larger, tougher, and the peeled veg has an orangey, reddish color whereas turnips are tenderer and the peeled veg has a whitish color. And turnip greens (the tops) are also eaten whereas rutabaga greens aren't.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Turnips and Rutabagas are actually two different (although similar) root veg. Rutabagas are larger, tougher, and the peeled veg has an orangey, reddish color whereas turnips are tenderer and the peeled veg has a whitish color. And turnip greens (the tops) are also eaten whereas rutabaga greens aren't.

I know that strictly speaking, but to a wee teuchter like me there all tumshies.:eek: And should be served chappit wi haggis and tatties.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway

Aha! If that´s the case then it really is the Rutabaga I mean. I´m never gonna forget that name...

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Are dimples like dumplings?

With the pearl barley we just boil it in the soup/stew as a thickener and to bulk out the food cheaply. As a kid (and still to this day) it's my favourite part along with the leeks in Scotch broth (Soup).

Interesting! I´ll have to try that :)

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Little kitten decided to move into our garden shed. I hope it can stay, but as it is father-in-laws property and he has to be OK with that it's not my decision...

Cat_0001.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE