Your picture of the day...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Shameless self portrait- Solitude.

Fr8dH6A.jpg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
ice 2 contrast B%26W.jpg

Before I get accused of being underhand etc I need to declare that.......

..... I created this entirely within Gimp with no photo as a starting point. And remember ....... the thread is called 'Your picture of the day' not 'Your photograph of the day':)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Nice creativity Elines :) (We won't mention that the thread is in the Photography forum, shall we? :rolleyes:). I like that.

Al, I could go off you. That looks wonderful, and I'm jealous. Did you stay out overnight?

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice creativity Elines :) ........I like that.

Thanks for that

(We won't mention that the thread is in the Photography forum, shall we? :rolleyes:).

Yes good point but .........:):) we could have a very esoteric discussion on where to draw the 'line' between unedited photography/photographs with 'reasonable' tweaking/photographs with heavy editing/computer created stuff.

For example, do we just say it's ok if it is equivalent to what used to be done in a dark room?:)

And what about photographing something straight off the telly (ignoring copyright issues - I'm talking hear about artistic worth)?

I guess it's another one of those areas where everyone will have different but valid views.

For what it's worth, the conclusion I've come to is that I am trying to create something that I like, and sometimes it is an unedited photograph, and sometimes it is tweaked and sometimes it is all done on gimp. So far I have only taken pictures of television screen images just to see if it was technically possible - and it is.

Personally, I'd need persuading that an otherwise good image of something on a television programme was of any real merit/ethically sound.

Mind you - I'd be interested in any other views, especially from people who have been doing photography fairly seriously for ages - I have only been into it with any intent for about five months, although I have been dabbling for years.

PS not sure how creative I was in making the the ice picture - I wasn't sure what it would look like till I pressed the final button

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
No, I'm in complete agreement with you. I think the image is very welcome here. I just couldn't resist when you were so quick to defend yourself in advance :cool:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
No, I'm in complete agreement with you. I think the image is very welcome here. I just couldn't resist when you were so quick to defend yourself in advance :cool:

(My emphasis)

Yes - I guess I'm a bit paranoid about writing something that is misunderstood as a dig or something. I try to treat the site as a discussion around a 'virtual campfire' and it is easier to ask questions in the right way when doing it in peson as opposed to by e-mail or forum post.

Quite often I write something but then don't post it because I can't draft it in such a way that it will be read only how I mean it to be read.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE