your hammock setup (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
im sure ther already is a thread for thisso please post a link

basically lets see you hammock setup in good detail:

heres mine
(setup inside the house on custom hammock fittings the local blacksmith made for us)
P1180234.jpg

the webbing is the original dd hammock webbing, with a figure 8 in the end, (sister in background)
P1180241.jpg

this passes through itself around the tree, and then throught he two clips on each end. these are attached to a short loop of rope (yellow) that passes through the hammock at each end.
P1180245.jpg

i settled on this because i am on a budget and i already had the rope and webbing.
i am useing some polyprop rope from the hardware store as a ridgeline (might replace as it stretches loads)

iits a good little system as it is easily adjustable
P1180246.jpg

other pics

http://s856.photobucket.com/albums/ab126/Loenja/

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hahaha you setup a hammock in your front room? actually drilled the holes in the wall for it too? Your hardcore dude!

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
my mum set it up years ago when we had(still have) one of those net hammocks (family sized which took 6 people)
i has stood up to 4 kids and mates swinging it really high. (fond memories):cool: ;) probably not a good idea but hey

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm tinkering with my setups all the time but at the moment I'm using this rig ...

Amsteel continuous loop, descender ring and whoopie slings

Continuous loop larks headed directly onto my Blackbird
DSC01631.jpg

Whoopie Sling with descender ring
DSC02053.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

Lightweight spring/summer package
DSC02054.jpg

An older setup, also known as the Ray Mears eco-system setup. 5m of 18mm tubular webbing with two slippery hitch knots for adjustment
DSC01540.jpg

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
In this pic...
DIY silnylon cat cut tarp
Amsteel ridgeline with alpkit mini krabs on prussiks with a figure-9 to tension
DIY 3/4 length down underblanket
DIY single layer ripstop nylon asymetric hammock with tieouts and bugnetting
DIY whoopie slings made from 7/64 Amsteel blue
DIY treehuggers made from 1" polyester webbing + 2x DMM phantoms
P5220094.jpg

The only issue with the setup above is that the hammock has a whipping issue which made it a little uncomfortable, I just need to undo the whippings and redo them, it's trial and error really until you find something comfortable, I've just not had the time or inclination yet.

So for now I'm using my DD frontline which has been converted to amsteel whoopies.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In this pic...
DIY silnylon cat cut tarp
Amsteel ridgeline with alpkit mini krabs on prussiks with a figure-9 to tension
DIY 3/4 length down underblanket
DIY single layer ripstop nylon asymetric hammock with tieouts and bugnetting
DIY whoopie slings made from 7/64 Amsteel blue
DIY treehuggers made from 1" polyester webbing + 2x DMM phantoms
P5220094.jpg

The only issue with the setup above is that the hammock has a whipping issue which made it a little uncomfortable, I just need to undo the whippings and redo them, it's trial and error really until you find something comfortable, I've just not had the time or inclination yet.

So for now I'm using my DD frontline which has been converted to amsteel whoopies.

Great work Col, if only I had half the talent to even attempt some of that gear. I really need to get me a sewing machine and knock some stuff together.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
This is my vehicle-borne setup (I prefer a HH for hiking). Clarke NX-250 with standard tarp and tree huggers. I've swapped the Clarke lines out for longer dyneema to give me some flexibility when pitching, and hooked a shock cord ridgeline inside the hammock to a) support the zip-up cover, and b) give me somewhere to hang a torch, iPod and other goodies. The zips all have bivi markers to make them easier to find in the dark. I'm using an IDW/BCUK underquilt and quilt, but in mid-winter (-9 degrees) have been very comfy with the underquilt and a heavy sleeping bag.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 143

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Great work Col, if only I had half the talent to even attempt some of that gear. I really need to get me a sewing machine and knock some stuff together.
Thanks Rich, it's definitely worth it and if you can drive a car then you can use a sewing machine.

how did you make you underblanket, did you use a pattern or instructions??
loenja
Hi Loenja, no I didn't use any pattern or instructions, I just knocked it together with some planning and calculations beforehand of course. I did get a lot of ideas from other people's DIY quilts on hammock forums though.

just got my Woopie slings and bits in the post today after ordering from an earlier thread

however thinking about it couldnt i form the loop with the current rope which is 1500lb test Spectra and only a litte thicker than paracord then use a taut line hitch (like a guy rope) as the adjustable slip ??? maybe a couple of extra hitches to lock it off properly once set ???

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE