Your Fire Pistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 21, 2009
Louisiana
So I am waiting on the the varnish to dry on my fire piston and was wondering what other pistons people may have created. If you have made your own then plz show us a pic.

Jun 21, 2009
Louisiana
No i don't sell them. I just posted the info for public use since I have not see any clear foolproof ways to build them. Its under the DIY section of this forum. I am not yet allowed to add attachment but when i am i will post pics for you.

Jun 21, 2009
Louisiana
I had the same happen and part of the shaft stuck in my hand. My fault I am sure, yeah right, but I now look for something stronger for a shaft.

That is a nice looking piston and very simple. Can you tell us who makes it?

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Here´s my favorite one at the moment, a small one made out of hardwood, here pictured with coltsfoot fluff as tinder :

I have got some more at home; an acrylic one made by Ed Read, some more made of hardwood (turned by a Dutch guy) and a very special malaysian one made from bamboo (thank´s to BOD) here with some fish tail palm tinder and terap fiber that is used as a gasket:

Miscellaneous pistons and tinders:

I also make simple DIY ones myself, like this:

Here´s a tutorial with pictures I once posted here:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35523
The main difference in build with your fire piston is that you cut an extra groove in the tinder receptacle (I only drill a hole), making it easier to extract the glowing ember, very neat!:You_Rock_

Cheers,

Tom

Jun 21, 2009
Louisiana
Those are nice and I knew there had to be someone else that was making in them the same way. The tip on ensuring the wood is sealed with the supper glue was a good one. As for the slot going across on mine it really helps hold the tinder better and allows for much easier removal.

These are 2 of mine.
rsz_1rsz_1102_0226.jpg

One has been retooled, the water buffalo horn, by me to accept my barrels and o-ring instead of the string gasket. The other was placed in a piece of cherry I had and carved down.
rsz_11rsz_102_0216.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE