Your Best/Favourite Recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
Hello Chaps,

I thought it might be a good idea to compile a BCUK Recipe Book (In thread form ;) ) for all our favourite campfire recipes, or just a good meal after a hard days craftin'! So I thought I'd kick it off with one of my favourites, normally make it the night before I go out on the hill, or into the woods to chew on wile im out.

CLAGGUM

Ingreedypants

2 Cups of black Treacle
Half cup of maple syrup
1 Teacup of cold water

Recipe.

Put the treacle, maple syrup and water into the heaviest pan you have and warm it through gently on the lowest setting. Then knock it up to the highest setting until a wee bit of mixture forms a ball when you drop it into cold water. Pour the mix into a shallow baking tin, butter it first. Go and split wood until its cool enough to touch, then pull out the Claggy till its get all pale, creamy and lovely and twist it into long sticks. Much while walking.

Post away

Sam.

PS, post as many recipes as you like, the more the better!!!

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
And guaranteed to remove all sporran fluff!

Sounds positively disgusting but brilliantly honest and unpretentious.

I still rate bread, fried in lard, and then coated with chunky marmalade but that aint going to get me a TV series!

Cheers

Last edited:

Cael Nu Mara

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 8, 2008
Highlands
it was my Grandmothers recipe, and maybe older, though the maple syrup is my sister inlaw's addition, she being canadian adds it to nearly everything! Mmmm fryed bread, real heart attack fodder ....

Sam

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Sam, there was talk of a BCUK cook book from a couple of years ago,i have just checked and its in the full members forum,Tony's wife said that if members email her their recipes,and when they get enough they will look into making a book.By the last count there have been only 12 recipes submitted :rolleyes:

It might be an idea to email her :).

Cheers Stuart.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Most of my outddoor cooking is pretty much the same as at home, but with somewhat adapted ingredients (such as dried mince rather than fresh, dried meat or hard sausage instead of fresh meat, using instant dried mashed potatoes, etc).

One of the bases I use a lot is home dried minced beef (fry, possibly with some onions and spices, place in sieve and pour a kettle of boiling water over it to get rid of the fat, spread out in dryer, dry until fully dry).

*** InstaBrownGoo ***

Not haute cuisine, but quick, easy and fairly cheap. Think what comes in the freeze dried bags from the outdoor stores, but home made and at 1/4 the price.

1/2 dl dried minced beef
1/3 dl dried minced onion
2-3 dl macaroni (the 3 minut stuff)
1 stock cube (for 1/2 L of stock)
spices to taste, chunk of butter, etc

* Put mince, onions and stock cube into 3/4 litre of cold water.
* Bring to a boil, adding spices to taste (or lack thereof)
* Add macaroni when the water boils
* Boil until the pasta is done.

Alternate version 1: Lappskojs (or ersatz shepards pie). Use instant mashed potatoes instead of the macaroni, adjusting water as needed. Real lappskojs is made with meat finely chopped and freshly boiled potatoes mashed just before mixing.

Alternate version 2: Risotto. Guess what; rice instead of macaroni. Adjust water, etc.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Good idea for a thread.
OK, here's my version of a spicy chicken noodle soup.

You need:
1 packet of spicy chicken noodles (or a packet of ordinary chicken noodles, plus chilli flakes)
a handful of frozen peas
some chopped spring onions
some left over chicken from the sunday roast

I'm sure you can work out how it's done - cook the noodles as per instructions, then for the last few minutes add the rest of the ingredients. Done! And yes, I know you can buy tins of chicken noodle soup, but that gloopy mess doesn't taste anywhere near as nice as my version.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
my favourite recipe is what i call

shot in a pot

what to put in it anything you like

for instance last time i made it with my dutch oven i put in

sausages
bacon
potattos
hot dogs
noodles
ravioli
packet of cup a soup
pasta
a some of the lads who ate it also added chilli powder to theres cos they like spice i dont
and a bottle of the finest beers was also added

leave it to cook for about two hours and it will be fine
drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE