Youngsters

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"
Plato, 4th Century BC

Nothing new under the sun it seems:)

Aye, every generation blames or feels pity for the younger one.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I think every older generation fears the younger as being unruly, dissobedient, uncaring, etc. They seem to forget they were the younger generation at some point doing their own thing making stupid mistakes, but somewhere along the line they grow up and become the middle and older generations and have learnt from their lives.

Having lived life and made stupid mistakes [and survived them] they may want to impart this knowledge on a generation who don't want to listen and who want to make their own mistakes, I suppose this generally get looked upon as the older generation trying to help/ take care of the younger folks who are dissrespectful and don't want to listen.

Humans and humanity haven't changed much, the world hasn't really changed that much, peoples wants, needs and desires haven't changed much. We like to think we are running things and calling the shots but by and large things remain the same, perhaps different ways of doing the same things and different technologies turn up but people all live, learn, eat, sleep and die.

Hmm after re-reading that I'm not sure where the point is - or indeed if there ever was one in the first place - the hazards of being bored and near a computer at the same time I suppose:)

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
When I was a kid we sidn't have a community - far less "community organisers". We had neighbours. Some we liked, some we didn't. Some were nice - some were crazy, . (Some old ladies were witches and we tormented them).

The coppers just gave you a clip round the ear (and took bribes and were racist).

People smacked their kids without fear of prosecution (and fellahs came home from the pub and knocked their wife around without fear of prosecution)

Boys were proper boys (and bullied the "soft" kids because they weren't proper boys)

They were good times when outdoor types could be free (and horrible times when misfits could be driven to the point of self harm)
Well put.

Most of my kids (the ones still at home) are computer game addicts.

We used to live on a boat. They'd cool the boat down in summer by sluicing it down with water from the river. Go onto the bank, build a den in a tree, have a fire. Nail bits of junk wood together and slide down a grassy bank into the mud.

Kids are still kids.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE