Youngsters

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
21b6529de735e29783012ab4f9ce604d60121210c0ceaedcbe53474e558c908ab1c5311379252295384.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Like it Rik and so very true. We try to ration indoor techy things and ensure our daughter spends plenty of time outside. I think there is another thing going on here too and its the feeling that you cant let your kids out alone anymore. This places an added burden on parents to do the outdoor activities and some just dont want to or cant find the time too.

That said there seems to be a huge boost in our beavers group and its nice to see more young kids getting out

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It would seem Rik is desperate to be a Yorkshireman
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
Cardboard box?
THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
Aye..

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are statistics somewhere that shows children, when they do play outdoors play closer to home than they did fifty years ago.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There are statistics somewhere that shows children, when they do play outdoors play closer to home than they did fifty years ago.

I'd blame the death of communities - people don't live and work together any more. It's common for people not to know there neighbours, the people on their street. Longer hours and longer commutes mean parents aren't home in time to take part in community activities, so the feeling of a community and the trust in it's individuals is eroded.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Another quote I'd heard somewhere and forgotten until now goes something like this:-

When I was younger and naughty I was sent up to my room. My kids have a telly, dvd, computer and phone in their room.

So I send them to my room instead.

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
Another quote I'd heard somewhere and forgotten until now goes something like this:-

When I was younger and naughty I was sent up to my room. My kids have a telly, dvd, computer and phone in their room.

So I send them to my room instead.

That makes a lot of sense actually.

G

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
It is the fault of parents, all of us, you choose what to buy, saying no isn't hard. :)

Saying "no" is only too easy for me, I just say I haven't got any money [which unfortunatley most of the time is true] and they just have to put up with it :)

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The world looks so much better with Rose tinted glasses on - ah yes halcyon days.

Blame the parents, blame the kids, blame society...

To be honest if I was a teenager growing up today I'd be sick and tired of the media, older generations and everyone else with an opinion telling me how "wrong" I'm doing things.

Nothing changes - leave 'em alone. By and large they're a good bunch.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I live in the village my father was born in. My mother lived in the next one across the river. When I was little we wandered the entire parish......parish is around 22 square miles, and the neighbouring Blantyre one too.
It was normal.
It's not now.
The population here has at least quadrupled, for a start. It often seems like every scrap of land is being built on.

The roads were quieter, lot less traffic, mums mostly stayed at home, people worked on farms, not just a small family in the main house, loads of workshops, good public transport network, old footpaths and droveroads were well used, and there was little disposable income. TV was not multiple channel 24/7; it actually closed down so the folks who made it work could go home and have dinner and sleep :)

The world has changed; in many ways we are incredibly rich, but we've lost that cheerful feralness that grubby inquisitive children thrive in, and instead there's a spitefulness and a nasty edged greed, must have, throw away, total lack of self confidence and courtesy and respect for anything except £££ among too many people; and that's not just children.

It's easy to say we didn't have much; there wasn't much to have. Now babies are given computers and know how to work mobile phones before they can write.

Different world.

This forum is full of people to whom the outdoors is often as necessary as breathing, so we're kind of biased; it's still hopeful though, because it means there are a lot of people making huge efforts to give their children a hands on, play in the mud, paddle in the burn, play with a stick, dig through the earth to Australia, climb highest tree, type childhood, yet still encouraging them to thrive in this very modern world :D

I'm not a grandmother, but I've said it before; if I were and they come to visit me they best come with playing clothes because they will get dirty :D

cheers,
M

wee man isn't two yet. already he comes back in different clothes from nanny's than he went in as he has got grubby.
I was lucky enough to have a farm yard. fields and my grandfather's allotment to play in.
nowadays there isn't that amount of space. plus media coverage of the dangers outside the house be it predatory adults. bullies, savage bangers or what ever puts the fear into a lot of adults. plus lack of community all tallies up to putting parents off from sending kids out to play.
however I have hopes for wee man still.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
My wife's grandmother said something years ago that I always remember, she died aged 97 in 1999.
She said: 'When I was young, we heard about things that went on in our village and a village or two away. That was it. Now you hear of a murder etc all over the world and certainly anywhere in the UK.'

This is true. There may of been as many killings/child abductions etc in days gone by, but you didn't hear about them. Now you hear everyone. Of course only the bad make it to the news!
Alan

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
It's true, society has changed, kids need to be kept indoors, good forbid they step outside, something terrible might happen....:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I was down in our local woods recently with my 6 year old daughter, (I like her to be in sight) she was gathering some fallen leaves and sticks. A middle aged woman told me in no uncertain terms that the woods aren't the place for children to play. Apparently she should have been at home.

touched by nature

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
The world looks so much better with Rose tinted glasses on - ah yes halcyon days.

Blame the parents, blame the kids, blame society...

To be honest if I was a teenager growing up today I'd be sick and tired of the media, older generations and everyone else with an opinion telling me how "wrong" I'm doing things.

Nothing changes - leave 'em alone. By and large they're a good bunch.

No, just the parents, they are ultimatly responsible for their childrens upbringing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE