You are going to make a fine meal!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......That big surely deserves roasting or smoking. Of course a disjointed one is always best pan fried; BBQed is a close second.....
?

.....Santaman I'm still intrigued by the idea of frying whole birds like you do with turkey at Thanksgiving. Do you use anything to keep the cavity open or does the oil just work itself in there for even cooking. (I'm that odd Scots bloke that rarely fries things.)
I'm going to have to dig out a YouTube video of it, is it nicer than roasting?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Regarding my above comment I was referring to gently pan frying a disjointed chicken in a manner similar to this video. Vary the seasonings according to your own tastes. I rarely ever presoak the chicken in buttermilk as he recommends but I've eaten it that way when others cook it and it is very good. It shouldn't surprise anybody that home made is train loads above and beyond anything KFC can do. Here's the video www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2I4eZimTw

Regarding the whole birds, no, nothing is used to hold the cavity open as such, however the "lifter does this coincidentally. As for the taste, I can only say that it is very good. Whether it's better than roasted or not will be a matter of personal preference. This video will help visualize that process. https://youtu.be/W8XBBiUqo-g Getting the oil level correct is critical. It has to be deep enough to cover the bird and shallow enough that lowering the bird doesn't displace it over the side creating a monster grease fire.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nah mate, just stretch their neck and then bleed out by bending the neck. If they get much bigger, I'll need to use a broom handle.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Never tried a DF bird but willing to try. Ropes, pulleys and metal ladder all set to go.

I prefer to rub the bird, inside and out, with a good BBQ dry mix of herbs & spices.
Onto the rack(s) on the cold side of the BBQ.
On the hot/fire side, a small cast iron fry pan of apple wood chunks.
2 hrs uncovered at 275-300F, covered with foil for the 3rd hour.

Good chicken is a real treat. I hardly ever have it, but when I do I buy a locally raised bird and roast it. The bird costs about £15 but is much larger than a commercial bird, and makes several wonderful meals.

That's just like the really good whiskey - no point in even tasting it because if it's really that good it might just make me dissatisfied with that which I can actually afford.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pioneer the rooster got a new report card today

Pioneer by British Red, on Flickr

Looks :Good
Behaviour: Does not play well with other roosters
Social: Takes "Fenland" interest in his own sisters - willing or otherwise

Outlook: Going to find life very cold for a bit - then will become acquainted with parsnips, sage and onion

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE