Yorkshire Dales Three Peaks Hell

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
I've been planning to do the three peaks challenge in the Dales for a couple of months. Finally, last Friday I set off with three mates up the M1 to embark on our little adventure. We stayed at the youth hostel in Grinton, an old hunting lodge. We had some real ale and a nice meal in the local pub accompanied by some live music from an amateur musician's circle. One of my friends had never been to the Dales so I was pleased to show him such a quintessential village welcome. Back at the Lodge I began to feel unwell. I unfortunately couldn't sleep. I must have picked up a stomach bug which left me unable to eat anything in the morning and with a severe headache and stomach cramping.

However, I really wanted to give the three peaks a go and thought I might be able to run it off so we drove to Horton to start the 24-mile round trip of Pen Y Gent, Wernside and Ingleborugh. We planned a very light assault, wearing running shoes and light clothing for speed. Our goal was to complete the route in under six hours.

I didn't feel right but persevered to the top of Pen Y Gent where it was lashing down. Instantly I became cold and spent the next eight miles just trying to get warm. Even running rather than walking and changing out of wet clothes into dry ones didn't help. At the Ribble viaduct I gave in and hitch hiked back to Horton (second car I held my thumb out to. He'd done the three peaks and was very sympathetic about me getting mud all over his leather Saab seats.)

Once back at the car it took me two hours of the heater on full blast, a hot chocolate and me in a sleeping bag to warm up. It just goes to show how debilitating a minor illness can be in the wild. My companions didn't make it to the end either, the weather was too inclement for them. They were soaked and shivering when they made it back to the car.

I learned some things this weekend. First, don't bother attempting anything arduous unless you are 100 per cent fit. My stomach bug and lack of food inside me severely affected my ability to keep warm.

Second, it's not weak to quit if there's a chance you could get into difficulty. I could possibly have gone on but may have suffered hypothermia judging by the state of my fit and healthy companions.

Third, there's no beating the weather. Some walkers did complete the challenge but it took them all close to 12 hours and they were wearing heavy boots, full waterproofs and had hot soup and drinks with them. If you go light and fast you better hope for good weather.

I came away from the weekend thoroughly depressed. When I'm ill all I want is to be in my own bed. But I take heart from learning from the experience and will have another attempt next summer when the days are longer and warmer and I am hopefully 100 per cent healthy.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
The pub at the bottom of Ingleboro is the Hill inn, the Station is near the viaduct, has a camping barn and in my humble opinion is much more welcoming! The 3P's is pretty local to me so we do it a fair bit, in various different guises. We usually do it in light order as well, but just under six hours is my record, and I do a fair amount of running!
You know you've got to come back and have another crack, don't you?!
...then 'google' the Fellsman Hike...

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
We set out to do the three peaks a few years back. We did ingle borough easy enough, then stopped at the Hill Inn for lunch & a pint. Then another pint! Then got chatting to the barmaid, then another pint...
We never completed the three peaks!

Like you though, I have vowed to do them one day :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
You made the right decision to stop, but to be honest you should never have started.

Endurance event + ilness + awful weather does not make a good combination. There is no shame in admitting to yourself that you aren't fit and well enough to tackle something like that

Better luck next time!

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I did them the easy way - one at a time with several pints and a good kip in between :)

Great part of the country, I go back to Yorkshire regularly.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
You made the right decision to stop, but to be honest you should never have started.

Endurance event + ilness + awful weather does not make a good combination. There is no shame in admitting to yourself that you aren't fit and well enough to tackle something like that

Better luck next time!

Putting it that way makes me feel a little better. Thanks.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
The pub at the bottom of Ingleboro is the Hill inn, the Station is near the viaduct, has a camping barn and in my humble opinion is much more welcoming! The 3P's is pretty local to me so we do it a fair bit, in various different guises. We usually do it in light order as well, but just under six hours is my record, and I do a fair amount of running!
You know you've got to come back and have another crack, don't you?!
...then 'google' the Fellsman Hike...

Cheers Mick, I will definitely be back. At least I've got a bit of knowledge about the area from this first attempt. Did you do the six hours in dry conditions?

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Dry but windy to start, then it hammered down for a while, then stopped raining. We did it 'backwards' that time, Ribblehead, Pen-y-Ghent, Horton, Inglebugger, Whernside and back to Ribblehead.
It's probably quicker starting at Horton and doing it the traditional way, a bit more joggable ground that way round so we're hoping to do it in just over five in the New Year.
I've lost a lot of fitness lately though due to a torn hamstring so I'm just starting to jog again, back from about square two!

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Dry but windy to start, then it hammered down for a while, then stopped raining. We did it 'backwards' that time, Ribblehead, Pen-y-Ghent, Horton, Inglebugger, Whernside and back to Ribblehead.
It's probably quicker starting at Horton and doing it the traditional way, a bit more joggable ground that way round so we're hoping to do it in just over five in the New Year.
I've lost a lot of fitness lately though due to a torn hamstring so I'm just starting to jog again, back from about square two!

Mick, may I ask what footwear you were using and did it get wet? Conditions were boggy which meant my basic running trainers were soaked pretty early on. If I'd worn high quality hiking boots with waterproofs (and possibly gaiters) I am sure I would have kept my feet dry but this would have made running more difficult. I would consider Goretex trail running shoes provided I could guarantee I didn't step in any bog deep enough to come over the top of the shoe. What is your advice? Or should I just assume I'm going to have wet feet unless there's been a particularly long dry spell?

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
My advice is get used to running with wet feet! Lots of bogs will be straight over the top of any running shoe, but if you don't worry about wet feet you can save time by not having to skirt round bogs, just run on through.
It's quite liberating really - a stream? no problem, wade on over - and most fell type shoes dry out pretty quickly.
For that kind of long (ish) run, I'd go for summat like the mizuno wave harrier, or one of inov8 roclite kind of shoe. For me personally, a full-on fell shoe like walshes are great, but not really for longer distances. Also, as you know a lot of the 3Ps is on stony paths so you need a wee bit of comfort.
Close fitting wool socks will stay fairly warm even when wet, if you're out and about in the colder months.
Enjoy!

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
How about some waterproof socks such as Sealskinz

I run in them frequently and they are warm and comfortable and most importantly, keep your feet dry!

I've had 2 pairs for going on 5 years now and they are still going strong - would highly recommend them

Snozz

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
How about some waterproof socks such as Sealskinz

I run in them frequently and they are warm and comfortable and most importantly, keep your feet dry!

I've had 2 pairs for going on 5 years now and they are still going strong - would highly recommend them

Snozz

I think I may try a pair.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
My advice is get used to running with wet feet! Lots of bogs will be straight over the top of any running shoe, but if you don't worry about wet feet you can save time by not having to skirt round bogs, just run on through.
It's quite liberating really - a stream? no problem, wade on over - and most fell type shoes dry out pretty quickly.
For that kind of long (ish) run, I'd go for summat like the mizuno wave harrier, or one of inov8 roclite kind of shoe. For me personally, a full-on fell shoe like walshes are great, but not really for longer distances. Also, as you know a lot of the 3Ps is on stony paths so you need a wee bit of comfort.
Close fitting wool socks will stay fairly warm even when wet, if you're out and about in the colder months.
Enjoy!

I looked at the Inov8 Roclite. May give it a go and combine it either a close fitting wool sock or even Sealskins. Although it's no bother if the weather's warm. I guess I was made very aware of my cold feet because I was ill and couldn't get warm. Normally I wouldn't be so bothered. I've even considered doing the Three Peaks in my Five Fingers. Lightweight and dry out very quickly due to minimal material and just thick enough soles to climb over rocks. But need to toughen the feet up a bit first.

Are there any good sites you recommend on the Three Peaks Challenge; maybe a video of the route. I wasted precious time looking at the map and also going wrong a couple of times.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
You'll bruise your tootsies in VFFs! Smartwool socks are ok, I found sealskinz to be a bit clammy.
If you want a dummy run first, maybe a gentle seven hours or a bit less, we could maybe arrange a 'guided tour', so you know the route prior to your own speedy attempt...

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
You'll bruise your tootsies in VFFs! Smartwool socks are ok, I found sealskinz to be a bit clammy.
If you want a dummy run first, maybe a gentle seven hours or a bit less, we could maybe arrange a 'guided tour', so you know the route prior to your own speedy attempt...

I might hold you to that.

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Yeah, I live in London. About as wild as it gets 'round these parts is fox **** on my front step. We are blessed in this country with beautiful countryside, but I wish it was sometimes a little closer to London (but then all you who live in the wilderness would hate the increase in numbers!).

Joining this site has really been a help in getting out there. Since joining I've learned about and then done kayaking on the Severn with wild camping, wild camping in the New Forest, and some of the Pennine Way. So much more to explore though.

Where do you live, Mick? Are you a fell runner?

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
My bruvver lives in London, works (voluntary now, since he was made redundant!) at the zoo. Speaks very highly of one of the big parks there, Windsor I think it is. I used to live in Portsmuff for a while so I went to the New forest now and again; wish I'd made more of it now, a wonderful place, especially at this time of year!.
Now, I live near Skipton/Keighley area, on the edge of the dales and moors. Great walking and running area. I was doing ok with the running til I tore a hamstring! Mind you, that made me slow down a bit which in turn has made me more aware of my surroundings really and opened up a whole new area of interest so it's not been a major disaster really. The leg is on the mend, and I'll be running again this side of christmas I reckon. Just shortish jog/walks to begin with...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE