York camper whose remains were found in a tent four years after he went missing.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Sorry if this has already been posted, this was the story on the front page of our local paper last night.......

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9779002.___My_son___s_death_will_always_be_a_mystery___/

"Victor, 39, of Acomb, vanished in March 2008, after telling his family he was going camping, and his disappearance remained a mystery until last month when a walker found his remains in woodland near Crianlarich, close to Loch Lomond, in Scotland."

Makes you wonder how many of us had walked past his tent not knowing :eek:

Richard

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's always a shame to hear about something like this :sigh:

Good practice if you see a tent looking deserted, or just 'tired' and weed ridden, to contact the local Rangers. If nothing else they'll check it out and see it's cleared away; as you said though, makes you wonder how many folks walked by and didn't like to interfere.

M

Sttrory

Forager
Oct 20, 2010
moon
Poor bloke

I wonder if any tv shows are to blame?
Bit before bear gryls shows so may have been watching ray mears??

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've come across a few camps that look to have been deserted, they have quite an eerie feeling when they're well off the beaten track.

R.I.P Victor

Sttrory

Forager
Oct 20, 2010
moon
Why?

It's the surest thing in life, and whilst there's no telling when your number might come up there's a lot worse situations to be in than doing something you enjoy.

True but we don't know how he died yet? (he may have been in pain then again he may have not)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The report said that his remains had been reduced to the skeleton. Unless there was evidence of physical trauma remaining on the bones or their positioning, it's unlikely that a cause will ever really be resolved. Even the evidence of the cadaver flies/beetles and so on, will have more of less decomposed in the time the body lay there.

A bit tasteless, but if you want to effectively dispose of a body, leave it uncovered or buried less than a foot deep in the soil. Forensic evidence needs proof, not suspicion.

You can't help but feel for his family though; four years worrying and fretting and hoping. We can only offer our sincere condolances, and maybe pay heed to any other tents/tarps we pass that look abandoned.

M

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
there's a lesson here as well i reckon: always tell someone where you are going. chap could have saved his family 4 years of not knowing if he'd given them an idea of where he was headed.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Whenever one of these stories crops up, while they are sad, it is at the same time heartening that even in Britain there are wild places where you can theoretically remain unmolested for years.

Same thing happened not 30 miles from my house up in the Grampians a year or 2 back.

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know there's going to be a special place reserved for me in Hell for typing this, but I can't help but wonder what kind of tent he had if it withstood four years worth of Scottish weather. On the other hand it may well have collapsed which would explain why it took so long to find him.

I know it's a sad story, but my mind is kinda curious about others things aside form the obvious.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Have to agree, curiosity makes me wonder the same.
Must have been quite a seculded spot, normally I would expect a few more curious good or bad ppl to have a nose.

At least the family can now move on

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I know there's going to be a special place reserved for me in Hell for typing this, but I can't help but wonder what kind of tent he had if it withstood four years worth of Scottish weather.

Spot reserved, next to mine.

But in all seriousness, a sad tale for the family. Perhaps we should all spare a thought for them next time we are out and about enjoying our own company and remember to leave our plans with those who would miss us.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE