Yew wood for a knife handle? good or bad?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I broke my frosts mora today :puppy_dog Im not happy! That was my first propper knife! and i broke it!

Anyway. Its only the handle thats broken and i am thinking of rehandling it. I thought that maybe Yew wood may be nice to use but would you get poison on your hands if your hands were sweaty when using it?

What other woods would be nice to use as a knife handle? I want to get my favorite knife back to its days of glory! please help!

Jon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yes is a lovely handle for a knife wood mate and its been used for a long time - do your worst.

What type of Mora was it? The Green handled 760?

Red

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
yea it's the 760. will post some pics if i go ahead with making the handle. I dont have any machinery. Just a couple of files and sand paper. I dont have any ebony or fancy stuff either. Will i still be able to make a nice handle with just a peice of yew wood and bog standard tools?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I find that getting anothe Mora is easier!

Why not PM me your address and I'll send you one mate (no charge)

You can then take your time on the new one - nothing wrong with trying but its not a full tang knife so perhaps not the easiest to start with. Actually I may have an old stick tang blade you can have too if you like? Much easier as a first attempt

Call it a thank you for your great posts

Red

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
British Red said:
I find that getting anothe Mora is easier!

Why not PM me your address and I'll send you one mate (no charge)

You can then take your time on the new one - nothing wrong with trying but its not a full tang knife so perhaps not the easiest to start with. Actually I may have an old stick tang blade you can have too if you like? Much easier as a first attempt

Call it a thank you for your great posts

Red

You are unbelievably generous Red!! Good on you.:You_Rock_

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If you do decide to carry on and make your own handle why don't you PM Englishrose (She is a member on here) who specializes in knife making gear.

She'll lead you in the right direction and has the gear to help you on your way!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'd have to say it's not the best wood for knife handles. I don't imagine it will cause a major health risk as a knife handle, but why would you want to use a toxic wood for a tool that will be used for food prep?.
It is a lovely wood but it's a soft wood.
Remember to use a dust mask when you sand it.
If you want tough native woods, hawthorn and apple are nice as is blackthorn.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Unless you start munching on the handle for a snack, you will be fine. Same with a yew spoon.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Yew is fine for a knife handle!! but as stated look for the right piece!

Also Red! Nice one :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE