Yew Craft project?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hi all,

I've just pruned a yew tree in my back garden and have a few nice peices. The largest beeing around 2inches in diameter. Has anyone got any ideas of what I can make out of it?

Thanks James.

Oh, unfotrunatly its not suitable for bows :cry:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
You could still carve a spoon, even if you don't use it due to the toxic nature of yew. Its a tradition in wales to make one for a loved one ;-) .. yew is very hard to carve though.
Do a forum search on yew.... alot has been covered on its toxicity and its probably best not to use it for cooking fires or utensils.

:)
Ed

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Most woods are nasty if you work with them A LOT... lots of chippies end up with throat cancer. I personally wouldn't worry too much if you're hacking away outdoors.

*** anyway... it seems like everyone here is spoon obsessed, how many do you people need?!?... how about the following ideas:

*** Picture frame... Good dovetail joints can be done with just a knife and bonus points for 4 x 90 degree angles.

*** A Computer case... I made one AGES ago and it was so cool.

*** Candle sticks... boring but can be quite rewarding.

*** Classes case... use thin twine for the hinge.

*** A flute... this one is pretty hard... maybe start off with a penny whistle.

Come on everyone... spoons have been done to death!

Joe

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Squidders said:
I was thinking more of an english long bow... :wink:
squidders,
well... it would be great if I could make a long bow as bow making is my latest project. the longest piece is probably three foot long which I am going to make a mini bow for a bow drill set using natural cordage ( primarily because natural cordage is more effective with a bendy bow).

Picture frames, chess sets etc. are not really my cup of tea, :lol: any ideas of something more primitive?

Thanks for all your input so far

James

P.S. I know yew is good for knife handles. I'd be happy to post some pieces of the yew to anyone who might need it. It's still a little green though!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Ah... something primative.... ummmm....

If your making a bow for a fire bow drill set then you could also make a bracing block (yew is very hard and you could add a bone insert) and an ember pan.

How about a fire piston....

Get yourself a blade and have a go at making a knife.... or if something simpler, then how about a bradle/awl.... you'll always need something to make holes ;-)

pot hanger...

ummmm... I'm sure I'll think of a few more.

;-)
Ed

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
James Watson said:
any ideas of something more primitive?

a club for hitting things is about as primative as it gets...

Or a chinese rice flail aka nunchaku... aka lots of fun until you break one of your own ribs. they need a fairly heavy wood though and i'm not sure how heavy yew is.

maybe some rigging accessories for rope work, pulleys etc?

I'm running out of ideas in a big way here hehehe

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Squidders said:
a club for hitting things is about as primative as it gets.../QUOTE]

Now your talking :super: I think every man, women and child should have a throwing stick :biggthump I don't know why I didn't think of it myself... I've an advanced design that i want to try out. :naughty:

The other Ideas are great also :p

W

wildernessphoto

James Watson said:
Squidders said:
a club for hitting things is about as primative as it gets...

Now your talking :super: I think every man, women and child should have a throwing stick :biggthump I don't know why I didn't think of it myself... I've an advanced design that i want to try out. :naughty:

The other Ideas are great also :p
Hi James,
How about an Axe handle, or better yet an Adze handle??:madaxe:

http://countryworkshops.org/toolhandles.html

http://products.compare-online.co.uk/pd-Fai_full_hickory_carp_adze_handle_36in-2176393.htm

Those are great projects for 2" stock. :biggthump
-Gary-

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE