Yesterday afternoons efforts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Both very good, but for me the Beech wins on the lovely grain' and as I am right handed it's shape looks ideal for me. :finger:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The spoons you have been posting, Kepis, have been quite an inspiration. Some of the lines you have managed to pull out of a bit of Sycamore beg applause :) I really like that cooker.

It isn’t something I do a lot of, but here’s a scruffy looking article I made about ten years ago. I was sitting in a friend’s back garden one early summer day in New Cross, house-sitting. Bit bored and found a piece of boxwood. I remembered my Gran had a caddy spoon and I’d always wanted one so, feeling nostalgic, I just started in on it.

It never really got finished as it was immediately pressed into service and has been in constant use since. I always fancied an ebony one, and recently rediscovered a bit. I’ll see if I can muster the right spirit.

One other thing … I didn’t realize how absurdly difficult it can be to photograph a spoon, or how unforgiving the resulting images can be :lol:

Spoon-1.jpg

Spoon-2.jpg

Spoon-3.jpg

Reactions: Robson Valley

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Both very good, but for me the Beech wins on the lovely grain' and as I am right handed it's shape looks ideal for me. :finger:

Aye the Beech is lovely, rock hard and difficult to carve, but worth the effort

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The spoons you have been posting, Kepis, have been quite an inspiration. Some of the lines you have managed to pull out of a bit of Sycamore beg applause :) I really like that cooker.

It isn’t something I do a lot of, but here’s a scruffy looking article I made about ten years ago. I was sitting in a friend’s back garden one early summer day in New Cross, house-sitting. Bit bored and found a piece of boxwood. I remembered my Gran had a caddy spoon and I’d always wanted one so, feeling nostalgic, I just started in on it.

It never really got finished as it was immediately pressed into service and has been in constant use since. I always fancied an ebony one, and recently rediscovered a bit. I’ll see if I can muster the right spirit.

One other thing … I didn’t realize how absurdly difficult it can be to photograph a spoon, or how unforgiving the resulting images can be :lol:

Spoon-1.jpg

Spoon-2.jpg

Spoon-3.jpg

Nice, doesn't matter what it looks like, if it works its a winner, its what i tell people when i instruct carving, if it looks like a spoon, works like a spoon, its a spoon.

You have just given me an idea for some of the smaller offcuts i have in the scraps box though :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE