Yellow wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Apart from Laburnum does anyone know of another wood that has a yellow grain? I have just nabbed a few bits off someone and managed to get a few brown leaves off the ground and I can vaguely remember they were very thin and delicate. I will post some pictures later, dont have time right now and my google skills are rubbish at finding things so I thought I would see if anyone knew of any others?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Lemonwood (a separate species to lemon) is yellow I believe. I know the wood of alder buckthorn is prized for its yellow colour too, but is very hard to get hold of and generally would only be small pieces. I'm after a bit myself.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Pau Amarillo, I turned this small bowl 20yrs ago

DSC01470.JPG

DSC01469.JPG

It has taken a beating over the years and most of it has darkened but the underside is closer to the original bright yellow. Most woods will darken with time and sunlight though.

Rob.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Most white timbers like Ash, Hazel, Holly etc. will quickly take a good yellow colour if treated with pure Linseed oil and left in a sunny window for a while. Not boiled Linseed oil, though.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Nope! Non of those I am afraid guys.

I will try and upload a picture in a bit. The lady said the leave had a minty scent to them? Its annoying as she is very knowledgeable about plants and trees in her whole garden which is about an acre and she has lived there 30 years but doesnt know what this particular one is. She has almost cut it to the ground as it is rotting in the trunk.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Here is a picture with 2 pence piece for reference. These were out of the leaf litter on the floor and were obviously green and very thin. I think there was small white clusters of flowers on it at in the spring (I might be wrong as I am going from memory)

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It may be a Katsura as it mentions tiny insignificant white flowers and the fact they need tree wraps to establish a strong firm bark and hers is lying on the ground for the first 3 or 4 feet. But it says the foliage has a brown sugar smell???

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Apologies for my earlier post. I misunderstood. It appears you're trying to identify a yellow wood you have on hand whereas I thought you were looking for one.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Apologies for my earlier post. I misunderstood. It appears you're trying to identify a yellow wood you have on hand whereas I thought you were looking for one.

I made exactly the same error.

Sorry guys I should of explained it a bit better, I was trying to be quick as I needed to get back to work.

Its not alder either. Its like a mustard yellow just like laburnum. When I saw it in pieces I thought that I had never seen a laburnum in her garden before and I have been dardening there every week for months.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
I got a few pictures of some of the leaves on a branch i found in the bonfire pile. They are a bit withered. It looks like the leaves grown from the end of each branch as it grows, I assume making it an evergreen as they couldn't regrow on the branch? Also probably why I struggled to find leaves in the leaf litter on the floor.

This shows the leaves forming at the end of the branch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE