Yatling anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've been reading again, a dangerous and often expensive pastime with me, and am now hankering after a yetling.

In short it's the traditional British version of a Dutch oven on legs. The nearest pic I can find on the net is this

http://www.memorialhall.mass.edu/collection/itempage.jsp?itemid=5697

what I'm after is the nearest modern equivalent, cast iron, about a foot to 14 inches in diameter with 5 or 6 inches of vertical space inside, straight sides, bucket handle and a lid for putting peat or coals on. Back in the day they sometimes had a cast, frying pan like, base with a sheet iron extension to make it sauce pan shaped and a cast iron lid, the hanging loop being fixed to the iron sheet extension.

By the way, any one know what a 12 inch diameter, 5 inch high cylinder holds in pints? Just a lot of Dutch ovens seem to be sold by volume rather than size.

The smaller of my heavy spun steel Aussie bush ovens is pretty much the same, if used with a trivet, and does a excellent job but it would be nice to have a cast iron one for home use.

Atb

tom

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks!

so that's 8 quarts give and take for American measurements. The Lodge 12" D(eep) 8 quart camp Dutch oven looks to be the closest to a Yatling, just the legs are too short for using with peat.

The price is a bit off putting

http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-ca...d-grills/8-quart-deep-camp-dutch-oven-L12DCO3

so ill be looking for something second hand I reckon.

in the meantime I must get on with using my trivet with my Aussie camp ovens, last year I didn't get to use them at all, being laid up for the summer. The end of August we have the inlaws cottage for two weeks and the fire place is ideal for cooking on and there's a big garden for cooking out doors is its not raining. I need to get my hand back in!

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE