Yank here, inquiring about DD tarps...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
We have a few tarp makers in the US, obviously, but I've got my eye on DD's Solo Tarp (so many attachment points!), and I was just wondering how you all like DD tarps - Are they good all seasons? Need much seam sealing? Any issues with sparks from a fire causing serious damage?

Just looking for a few testimonials... My main uses for a small tarp are wind breaks while day hiking and having a bite to eat or a cup of tea, getting out of the rain/snow while fishing or hunting.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Merry Christmas to you too Whisker :)

I was just wondering how you all like DD tarps - I think you'll find just about everyone on the forum who has a DD tarp highly recommend them, me included :)

Are they good all seasons? Yes... I've used mine in every season including down to -15degC

Need much seam sealing? Never noticed any problems with the seams though the occasional reproofing after 2 or 3 years use won't go amiss. It all depends on how often you use it

Any issues with sparks from a fire causing serious damage? ??Yes... they're a man made material so spark will go through them very easily so you do have to be careful with your fire management

Just looking for a few testimonials... My main uses for a small tarp are wind breaks while day hiking and having a bite to eat or a cup of tea, getting out of the rain/snow while fishing or hunting.

They're a great tarp well liked on the forum and will be ideal for what you're planning to use one for

Hope that helps :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I love my DD and it never needed sealing from new.
It has suffered a little from sparks burning tiny holes but i knew this could happen due to the material used.
My only critisism is they sound like a crisp packet when new/dry and can make a bit of noise.

Other than that i can recomend them.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Seasons greetings, I have two DD tarps, I hav a green 3x3 and a Coyote XL, have used the 3X3 all year round, very good performance as far as wind and rain is concerned, never had them leak, now thinking about getting 4x4m one as well, as far as damage by sparks go its, nylon , if you pitch near a fire, any nylon type Tarp will hole as soon as a spark lands...

As far as customer service goes, IMHO I think you would struggle to beat them, A couple of months ago I purchased a set of their Tree huggers, used them for a long weekend, and there was a problem with the actual webbing that was used, I emailed them on the evening of my return, included some images, within 8 working hrs I had a response offering me a new set, which I asked them to keep until my next order, I placed that with in a couple of days, the new tree huggers were in that parcel on my door step the next day.... Trough out the process, Nick and Penny sent me emails, letting me know what was going on...

Its not how good the product is that you have to think about its how the company is when thing DO go wrong, you'll always get the odd problem with any product , its how they deal with it when it does, and I can say DD could of done NO MORE at all.

I am a very Happy customer, Have a number of their products, and will use them over and over again...

BTW.. I have no affiliation, just a very happy customer

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I have the 3x3, an XL and a 3x3 camo from DD.
I've used mine in some serious rain and not suffered a leak at all so very well sealed. I attached press studs onto my XL to I could close the doors on the ends in the winter and for that reason I'm planning on getting the 4x4 to add to the collection this year.

As mentioned, service has been superb.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I think they are a great option in the UK but I think there are better silnylon options in the US for a similar price? We are so keen on these because silnylon is so expensive over here. Silnylon is stronger and lighter, also no delamination will ever happen. I have found a bit of delamination on some parts of my DD tarp but it has been a few years and they are cheap with great service.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I can't really add any more praise than has already been said, but a great piece of kit!

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
Some people on the forum in the past have reported that their tarps tore, this is the main reason why I haven't got one.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
THere seemed to be a problem with a btch of camo ones. Since then however DD have improved the mounting of their webbing loops on the sides - the corners were always well-mounted. To be fair, DD were very good at dealing with that particular set of problems.

whiskersnitch

Oct 12, 2011
Upstate NY (not NYC), USA
Yeah, I heard about the tears and saw that they fixed that issue with the triangular mounting patches. From what I read, DD customer service was incredible in making sure that got fixed and customers were made happy with returns/refunds/exchanges.

There are silnylon options, which I am looking into as well, but figured I would ask about these DD tarps which are such nice, earthy colors. The Monk's Tarp from Mountain Laurel Designs, which is approximately 1.5m x 2.74m, is a light gray which is a bit off-putting. I also figured silnylon was even worse around sparks. Silnylon IS much lighter, as this would only weigh in at ~255g.

That said, what I like about the DD Solo, besides being OD, is all the attachment points (10 vs. 19). It's also bigger than my silnylon choice.

*rubs chin*

Choices. :)

Thank you all so much for the info!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
THere seemed to be a problem with a btch of camo ones. Since then however DD have improved the mounting of their webbing loops on the sides - the corners were always well-mounted. To be fair, DD were very good at dealing with that particular set of problems.

One of the guys in Suffolk, had a Camo on wiht the loops cut of, and DD changed ot for a coyote on FOC, n quibbles

Oh and the coyote is a lovely colour seems to blend in better then the green , were we use them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE