Y is for ..... ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I like the Yew / You notions.

Have just come back from a talk at Kew on medicinal plants in which the lecturer, Matthew
Biggs mentioned that during his time working at Kew they often got medical questions or
heard about strange deaths (eg the chap that was punctured with a ricin-containing 'ingot'
via umbrella) and he mentioned a case where a man was found to have consumed some
yew leaves intentionally (apparently he had been a bit 'into' druidry) and supposedly (I've
honestly no idea if this was true) this had been a favoured way out.

Really not a very nice end reportedly.

But the personal preparations of "you" for the letter Y sounds excellent... can I be the
umpteenth person to ask what they did with X ;)

Now listening:
Mass for Oscillator and Tape
http://syncretism.net/playlists/electroacoustic.html <-- if you like radiophonic stuff.
If you don't, give it a wide berth :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I sincerely think those videos are quite bad. He shows no confidence in what he does and I think some stuff he suggests is downright wrong, for instance don't forget to STERILISE (quote! sic!) your knife for food prep by rubbing it against moss! The day I see a neurosurgeon go out in the bush and rubbing his scalpels in moss I can maybe accept it as sterilising, but until then I'll call it cleaning it, or maybe grubbing it off. The funny thing is that while he is 'sterilising' his knife on the moss, he has a pot with something boiling in it besides him, why not just rinse the freakin' knife in the boiling water?

Then there is other stuff too, but I've already commented on that, and besides, I think it's a good idea. It's just that they could have put more effort in it.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Living in Sweden, you might not have a full appreciation of our Health Service here in the UK, however I may just be being cynical but surgeons cleaning their scalpels on moss might actually help reduce infection rates in our hospitals :lmao:

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
I`ve just been watching the A-Z of Bushcraft clips again and I see they`re struggling for a Y episode. They`ve asked for any suggestions.

http://www.undercurrents.org/bushcraft/index.php

I can`t really think of much myself apart from Yew, for carving/bowmaking etc and the fact that the whole tree is poisonous could make it hard to string out for 10 minutes.

There`s also Yucca, for cordage but it`s not exactly common in this country.

Rich

I had posted yew on you tube :p befor you do this thread :rolleyes:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I had posted yew on you tube :p befor you do this thread :rolleyes:

The more people that show off any bushcraft skills the better, I think you'd agree. Oh you know it's not a competition to see who's better at posting things ? :lmao: Anyhoo the more sites that edutain to the unsuspecting public at large the better. It's only a shame other instructors don't follow suit, as this way Andrew is getting lot and lots of free advertising... :lmao:

Cheers, Nag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE