XL Secateurs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are Secateurs ( on handed bi-cutting tools ) and there are loppers ( two handed cutting tools ) - is there such a thing as a large hand and a half type secateur? or something that is capable of a wide jaw ( found some loppers terrible for mouth size ) and can let you if needed 'gruanch' up on it and tackle some more middle of the road Goldilock type tree limbs?

Reactions: British Red

Delta Tubs

Oct 8, 2011
Aberdeen Scotland
There are Secateurs ( on handed bi-cutting tools ) and there are loppers ( two handed cutting tools ) - is there such a thing as a large hand and a half type secateur? or something that is capable of a wide jaw ( found some loppers terrible for mouth size ) and can let you if needed 'gruanch' up on it and tackle some more middle of the road Goldilock type tree limbs?
How about these. I use them in my gardening business. Got them in a twin pack from Costco. They are a mid size.

Reactions: TeeDee

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The issue that you face here is that there are two types of loppers, geared and ungeared. Ungeared open the jaws wider but require far more effort to use. Geared can cut more easily but need the handles wider for the same opening in the jaws. I show how this works in the video below

Astrochicken

Jan 15, 2024
LLanrwst
I've used a mix of secateurs from cheap Aldi everyday garden types up to more expensive Felco's, and whilst there are certainly differences in quality of material / design, I can't find enough benefit to justify the sometimes eye-watering prices (the top of the line felco is £300). I have however found that ratchet-mechanism secateurs can be useful in situations where you don't want to go two-handed with loppers. The EasyKut GT452CAC Ratchet Secateurs on Amazon is very low-cost and does actually work, you just need some good arm and hand strength. The ratchet allows you to start a cut, and then release the grip to engage the next ratchet tooth, allowing single-handed cutting of larger branches, albeit with 2-3 squeezes of the handles. You do need to expect resistance in the cut (it's not going to just cut straight through it), and although it's not the first pair I reach for when gardening as it can be a bit fiddly for smaller stuff, they serve me well when I've got tougher work and plenty of it (e.g. when I'm doing Autumn work on fruit trees).

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The issue that you face here is that there are two types of loppers, geared and ungeared. Ungeared open the jaws wider but require far more effort to use. Geared can cut more easily but need the handles wider for the same opening in the jaws. I show how this works in the video below

You mentioned in the video ( I did watch ) about working at height - and thats exactly what was causing me cussing whilst up a tree. Good Video Sir , keep cranking them out.

Reactions: British Red

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I use both of these depending on circumstances: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profession...901-4802-9fca-0517f93aba26&pd_rd_i=B0BS9Y5KGV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KQK2YOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The loppers only come in at around a pound in weight (as mainly plastic) but make cutting up to 35mm effortless and often carry them when fly fishing to cut branches trailing in water as you don't notice carrying them.

If you need to cut bigger, it is easier with a folding pruning saw.

Reactions: Pattree and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I use both of these depending on circumstances: -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Profession...901-4802-9fca-0517f93aba26&pd_rd_i=B0BS9Y5KGV

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KQK2YOE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The loppers only come in at around a pound in weight (as mainly plastic) but make cutting up to 35mm effortless and often carry them when fly fishing to cut branches trailing in water as you don't notice carrying them.

Those loppers look like the ticket. Thanks for posting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE