Wynnchester. Waxed Cotton Haversack. Review.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Hi...

I'll start by stating that I was not paid for this review. I've purchased a few items from Wynnchester Camp and Adventure, and every time the product and service have been second to none. Infact on one occasion, Kevin the owner told me. "Anything i send you, it doesn't matter, if it's too big, too small or for any reason, you just don't like it. Send it back". You can't ask for more than that.

This is my review:

The Waxed Cotton Haversack, is a beautiful, vintage canvas and leather satchel/grab-bag. It's 30 year old Central European Army issue, so you know is tough and being new and unissued it will last you a lifetime.

Now there is much more to this bag, than durability and good looks. This is one very versatile piece of kit. Measurements are. 4"x11"x9" (13" extended).

The envelope closure lid has two quality leather straps that fasten it down. These are adjustable by 4" giving you plenty of extra space under the lid to put a tarp or jacket.

The pockets are. 11" x 7"x 1" on the front. 6"x4"x4" inside, and 12"x4"x4" foldout pocket.

The large pocket on the front is fastened by Velcro. I don't like Velcro as it weakens from the first day, but the envelope style flap for the lid overlaps and gives extra protection to your valuables.

It has in integral pocket on the inside of the main compartment, and a very unique fold out pocket. This pocket is 12"x4"x4" it comfortably can accommodate the complete Crusader Cook System. It is perfect for gathering tinder and kindling. The one improvement I would make to this bag is to make this pocket detachable.
I could put Rabbits, Fish other game or forageables then simply wash it and attach.

Wynnchester have attached two leather straps to the side and a para-cord handle to the top, and given the bag a two coat wax treatment. To provide extra waterproofing.

This bag has many attachment points, 7 infact. This means it can be carried in a number of ways, or even strapped to a larger bag. The bag has extra padding at the back, making it very comfortable, whichever way you carry it.

The three carry configurations i use are:

By hand:

As a satchel:

As a rucksack:

This really is a very versatile bag. The webbing points at the bottom give you plenty of space for a tarp/jacket/bivvi. The webbing points have attachment points on them, providing room for tarp poles, hazel sticks etc.

Here's a shot with my fire bow.

When fully loaded this bag is enough for me to go over night. In this shot i have a complete Crusader Cook Set. Knife, Saw, Food and Brew kit, kindle, pen , notepad and phone....all inside.

Bivvi, Tarp, bowdrill on the outside, and still the fold out pocket unused.

It's perfect as a day bag and for three seasons, certainly the Summer, can be used as a overnight bag. It's pretty much been at my side everywhere for the last month, and I have to say I'm very impressed.

Priced at £42 and available at Wynnchester Camp and Adventure.

Thanks.

Ammo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Pretty certain it's a Yugoslavian one identical to the one I acquired from the forum a couple of weeks ago. A great bag and thanks for taking the time to write the review. Here's a couple of pics.

vu9ysuru.jpg

uhu6yde6.jpg

You've given me the impetus to treat mine

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yep its a Yugoslavian Army pack, nice bit of kit and looks like Wynchester have done a good job of improving it.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for all that work doing the pics etc, a good read. Though a lot of people think the Wynnchester gear a bit pricy, I don't think £42 is too much for a bag with character that'll last you a lifetime. Something of similar size by Maxpedition would likely cost double that, and all you get is a Velcro clad Taiwan made generic bag.

Still finding my duffel a pleasure to own :)

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Thanks fellas. It is the Yugoslavian bag. Ive come across a few, but most seem beat up pretty bad. I think the fact that it is unissued, has had a double coat wax treatment, has a added paracord handle plus the extra leather straps. Makes it extra special.
Wynnchester do a great job. I've got a few bits from them, so more reviews to follow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE