WW1 infantry soldier and pack, What worn, what in pack?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Any ideas where to point me folks?
helping my daughter with some homework/project.
Don't worry, she is going to do the leg work but I am iterested for myself, and want to cross ref. her findings.
Any pointers would be great.:)
cheers cats.

da C.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Outstanding that man!
Thank you so much Mesquite.

Best.
C.

My Googlefu was strong tonight
Yoda_walk.gif

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
If it was similar to WW2 soldier then in large pack it would be along the lines of Greatcoat,spare socks undies,balaclava,gloves, spare blanket,possibly a jersey if not in small pack,maybe some extra rations,in small pack would be mess tins,spare water bottle,shaving/wash kit,boot cleaning kit,rations. i have got a book in the loft that lists it all along with photographs but its up in the loft so im going from what i had in mine from memory when i did re-enactment many years ago.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Don't rely on that website. It says the ammunition boot had a steel toecap. It did not, the toe-cap was leather and there was a toe plate on the sole under the toes.

Do not forget that at times the pack would include two smoke helmets, early gas masks.

Then there was the vital "housewife" pronounced hussif which was a repair kit for the uniform including a sewing kit.

Imagine the early days of advancing across the open under machine gun fire with a pack containing your spare boots!

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Imagine the early days of advancing across the open under machine gun fire with a pack containing your spare boots!

I guess some of them might have back then, at least more recently they have gone to "Marching order" and "Fighting order" kit (AKA C.E.M.O. AND C.E.F.O. Complete Equipment Marching Order and Complete Equipment Fighting Order). I suppose that having their spares at least meant that if they were captured they might have some kit to last them until the war was over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE