WTD Char Cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
It is not very difficult... so long as you don't live in a flat or can get out to somewhere you can make some smoke.

Here is how I normally make it. Small strips 1/2" by say 5" coiled up together in a boot polish tin. This batch is part-used. It would just fill the tin.
boot_tin.jpg

To complete such a large 'order' I just used a small coffee tin.
cooking.jpg

I packed a roll of cloth in the tin. It has to me a natural plant fibre. Cotton is good. I usually use toweling but I didn't have enough so I did one batch with that and one batch with the more usual 'flat' cotton (an old tee shirt in this case).

Once the magic blue smoke stops (or at least reduces significantly) then the tin comes off the heat and the hole in the top is plugged.
coff_tin.jpg

Then you wait until it cools. If you don't, there is a risk the whole lot could start burning when the lid comes off and the air gets in. I did find that using the taller tin meant that it charred properly at the bottom but not at the top. So I had to let it cool, tip out the bundle and then re-cook it the other way up.

I have tested both the tee shirt flat cloth and the towelling an both catch sparks. For my money the towelling is still better and will be what I continue to use.

So in summary:
  • Flat tin - boot polish or sweetie tin.
  • Hole in top
  • Natural fibre such as cotton
  • Cook till the smoke stops
  • Plug hole and allow to cool

That's it really:D

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
thank you for the how to. :) I now know what my weekedn project will be (after rewiring grans house and putting more security lights up than there is at camp delta LOL)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Reminds me, I need to make another batch too, just had a quick look and it's surprising how quick it disappears, the kids love starting fires with it. I use this method but there's tonnes of different ways to do it. Rep to all for helping the man out, :You_Rock_

Cheers,

Alan

PS it's hay season up here just now so I normally nip down the the local field and get a big bag and dry it off, great for the 3rd stage, getting from ember to flame.

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
Would like to say a big thanks to Steve for the char cloth I received today and to Eric for the offer of char cloth and to Eds for some birch bark

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've had quite a few PM's asking for some charcloth. I've already sent out all the spare that I had, so..... as a further way of saying than you to all those who have helped me with advice, guidance and friendship over the past few years, I'm going to make a few more bulk firings of charcloth this weekend. Then I'll post them out.

If I remember, I'll also try and take photos as a sort of mini tutorial so people can make their own later on.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE