Wriggle Out Of This

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
I just been reading an artical in this weeks Chat magazine page 19 A fellow called Wayne who runs his own worm farm Wayne says I started eating worms when I was 9 they must be fresh so I cook them live A consultant nutritionist and dietician says Worms are very nutritious full of iron and proteein plus low in fat so long as you grill them theyd make a healthy start to the day better than fried Egg and bacon think il stick to weeterbix my self anyway heres Waynes resip for WORM SOUP ---- 2chopped onions 2 crushed garlic cloves a cup each of chopped celery sliced carrot and diced potatoe a bay leaf a pinch of mixed herbs 500kg cleansed washed worms 3 skined and chopped tomatoes salt and pepper to taste METHOD lightly fry onions and garlic in butter untill browned add vegtables and herbs cover with 5 cups of water and bring to the boil add the worms and the tomatoe simmer untill soft then whizz in the blender and serve with garlic bread. ENJOY, I wonder if this resip will catch on Will any one from BCUK try it out

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
phew, got out of breath reading that lol :p

i would eat anything in an emergency but if i have the choice its tuna omlette for me every morning :yuck:

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Just checked in the mag where I read this artical it does definatly say 500kg of worms I recon Wayne is gonner have one hell of a feest may be he got some mates coming over for dinner I think it should be 5kg of worms

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
500kg is one hell of a lot of worms :D

You will need a cement mixer not a blender.

My son used love eating worms when he was a baby. He use to cry if you pulled them out of his mouth. he used to find them himself, I did try stopping him because he would eat them alive.

How do you clean the grit out, they must taste pretty edible, and I would consider giving it a go, if they weren't gritty.

How likely is it that the editorial team of Chav dont knoe the differance between kilos and grammes.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
just read your reply about the cement mixer made me laugh
It would need to be one of these

ginaf_beton_sml.jpg

Even 5Kg is a huge amount of worms I am guessing they mean 500 grammes or just over 1lb in old money

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
You will need a cement mixer not a blender.

My son used love eating worms when he was a baby. He use to cry if you pulled them out of his mouth. he used to find them himself, I did try stopping him because he would eat them alive.

How do you clean the grit out, they must taste pretty edible, and I would consider giving it a go, if they weren't gritty.

How likely is it that the editorial team of Chav dont knoe the differance between kilos and grammes.
I don't know about gritty worms, but maybe you could treat them like snails - feed them on something neutral and colourful - like carrot. When only carrot comes out the other end then they are cleaned out and OK to eat.

Actually even 5 kg is a lot of worms (11lb).

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Worms don't really taste of anything. You can purge them with dandelion leaves or something similar for a day or two. One I have heard of but not tried is purging with salt water. I have just drawn my fingers down the worm and it empties most of the grit:)rolleyes: ) out and then either eaten raw or cooked by boiling or frying in an ommlette. I beleive that drying and powdering after cooking and purging is good as a type of stock or thickener.
Worms and other bugs are really high in protein, more than double pound for pound than beef I beleive, so if in a survival situation should only be eaten if you have plenty of water as protein needs water for the body to process.

PS I don't reccomend eating them raw, too much chance of them still being covered in bacteria!

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Hi Goose I started this thread from somthing I read in a mag Going back to that Wayne the auther sugests feeding with flour prior to cooking I thought that would dry out the worm I Agree the worms should be feed like you say Ive feed live mussels flour in with water to purge them and supposably fatten them and snails a green leaf so why not feed the worms any way the amount of worms Wayne is using they would need a lot of feeding

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Lets really get this out of hand.............seeing as Dwardo is ex-SAS and wrote a book about his experiences............only kidding.

I had a demo of worm omlette in Germany one time. Take a few fresh worms and raid a few birds nest, choppy, chop, chop the worms mix with eggs and fry. I remember the plate was passed around the class and blow me it was still intact and untouched when it got back to the front.

I will pass on something I learned about eating worms though, not from my experience, from a mate's. He showed me that before you eat worms you should put them in water for a while because they naturally fill up with dirt/soil which they expell/wash-out if you put them in water.......making for a less gritty meal............snails anyone?

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
Thanks for all your replies for this thread just something out of a weekly mag the quantities for the resip was from the mag not me Im glad I still posted it your replys made me laugh Im sitting indoors just had a knee OP and am enjoying BCUK thanks everyone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE