Wouldn't it be amazing to find this here ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Reactions: Toddy

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The same happened in the highlands of Norway, as far as I remember the artifacts are younger though, like viking arrows.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have Paviland man (woman) , and Cheddar man, but there's not the same level of organic material.
There's stuff that came up from the Crannog sites, leather and so on, but it's still such an impoverished archaeological record, such a poor impression of their society.

Last edited:

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
How amazing that we can connect with ancestors from thousands and thousands of years ago with materials and crafting methods we can still use today. Fascinating stuff, what a find.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Could this not also be a sign of climate change and as such it is actually less than positive?

Sorry for the negative POV but I understand such archaeological climate change dividends are happening in Scandinavian countries too. Iirc I read there was a research team in a Norwegian University who have been working on receding ice due to climate change for many years. Each season ice and snow areas that once never melted fully and indeed were much larger than now have been giving up interesting finds for a long time. Good for archeology but not good for the planet I reckon.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At the beginning of a certain special operation there was a little chatter about origins of the peoples of both nations and indeed the third neighbour. Apparently the land was settled by norsemen. I wonder if this is indication of migration east and a return west of these peoples of norse origin? I'm only musing and might be talking of migration in different eras.

Of course even in neolithic era trade and probably migration happened. I remember hearing that stone axe heads mined in great Langdales in Cumbria were highly regarded grave goods all through Europe and into Eastern Europe too I believe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE