Worsted-wool yarn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Can anyone tell me more about it? Benefits and cost vs normal wool? My mate sent me a link to a wool hat with a ridiculous price tag to match and I wonder if the material goes some way to justify it. My guess would be its paying for a name more than anything. Neither of us will be buying the hat, just curious.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
http://www.selfedge.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=523

I think the bearded gentleman modelling shirts says it all for their target audience. I always thought a watch cap or jeep cap had a small brim. This appears to be a hat to me?!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Yeah, a jeep cap does have a small brim:

US_Jeep_Cap.jpg

But your link does indeed picture a watch cap (also known as a "beanie" or a "toboggan" or a "stocking cap" here ("tuque" in Canada I believe)

_1271072314_7.jpg

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Worsted wool uses a spinning technique that gives parallel fibres and should be extra long staple.
Most Worsted Wool is used in fabric such as gabardine not knitted garments.
Worsted Wool uses generally straighter and less springy fibres and is reputed to be harder wearing than "Crimp" wool.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If the wife found out I'd spent $130 on a wooly hat I expect she'd sign the pink papers double quick and I'd be taken away by nice young men in clean white coats.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tight worsted wool isn't so absorbant as wool soft spun for most knitting yarn.
It's a tighter, more hard wearing wool.....very good as socks if done slightly thicker.
For a watch cap....well, yes, it's more showerproof, it won't go bobbly and tired looking so quickly as knitting wool can, and it's still warm.

At that price though ??? it's not even hand framed let alone hand knitted.
Speak to one of the knitters if you really want one. Sally Pointer comes to mind as someone who would make for you, or Kirsty Buckland....one of her Monmouth caps is the real forerunner of the watch cap.

M

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Thanks for all the input. I'm not after one at all but a mate wants a decent one for realistic dolla. Will look into those contacts, cheers Mary!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE