Planning Lightening my load

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Okey dokes. I'll do a post separately. No I haven't used it with a hammock. The original is a bit too small to use as a tarp in that configuration I think.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Okey dokes. I'll do a post separately. No I haven't used it with a hammock. The original is a bit too small to use as a tarp in that configuration I think.

Ah, yes as a tarp overhead I agree, too small. I've got an exclusive [with both weights of liner] and started using it as an underquilt. Even the original should work well as a wind resistance barrier to stop the wind [and heavy splashing rain] from whipping under you to rob you of your warmth. Works pretty well, but even better rigged as a cocoon.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Ah, yes as a tarp overhead I agree, too small. I've got an exclusive [with both weights of liner] and started using it as an underquilt. Even the original should work well as a wind resistance barrier to stop the wind [and heavy splashing rain] from whipping under you to rob you of your warmth. Works pretty well, but even better rigged as a cocoon.
Ah now I understand what you mean! Got it!

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Here's a comparison of what I take for a night.

20 ltr eurohike day pack / Vershmeshok.
1 ltr waterbottle / 1 ltr wide neck waterbottle.
Jetboil / Butane pocket stove.
British army jungle sleeping bag / 4 seasons down bag.
Snugpak SF Bivi Bag / N/A
3/4 self inflating roll mat / N/A
Jerven original / Lidl poncho.
Victorinox Rangergrip 78 / Case camper knife.
Down jacket / Swanndri jacket.
Wool hat / Wool hat.
Gloves / Gloves
Head torch / N/A
Thermal top n bottoms / Merino wool top/bottom, in pack.
Food-coffee, dried pasta meal, easyoats /Granola, dried mango loose tea.
Water filter / Water filter.
Small first aid kit / First aid kit.
Lightweight 3 x 3 m tarp.

I've been away for longer with this, when I know I can buy food on the way. ( Speyside Way) The tarp is new to me. Previously I used an Ultima Pea Pod (carbon fibre) which I had for over 30 years. I tend to travel most of the day, so the butane stove is for convenience. A pocket full of wood pellets works reasonably well for a brew up on a twig stove, as does filling the stove with twigs cut to approx 1" lengths ( 25mm) , once it's going, a cheap set of bypass secateurs does a quick job of this, if you want to carry some extra weight. For me going lightweight is to keep things simple and hassle free, which it does.

Reactions: Kretian

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Unfortunately, most modern, light and comfortable equipment is synthetic ( plastic) based. And does not last ’forever’.

Natural materials are usually very heavy.
That is imo the only downside.

The lighter load, the more I enjoy it!

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Yes this is an interesting thread. It’s a balance between ultra light and comfortable
Coming to think of it, maybe this is my intention. A good balance between light and comfortable..... maybe we shall see where it goes for the masses.

Reactions: Janne and MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE