Worms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
:eek: My mates got thread worms:eek:
He's pretty careful washing his hands and stuff but he is prone to having a nibble on a few greens from time to time ( dont we all)
Dont fancy worms anyone else caught anything nice:eek: from bushcrafting?
D

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yea I thought it was my mates fault as he isn't frightened of trying a bit of fresh road kill etc :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: but apparantly the eggs live in vegetation?!?!
Might be washing stuff bit more from now on!!! I know he will be!
Dave
Ps In case you didn't know I didn't easy to cure two tablets and wash clothes......... just cant stop feeling a bit itchy still.........don't ask me what he told
me what it looks like...........nooooooo.

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Weird, from what I read, the eggs are parasites to many animals, didn't know they could also live on greens.

Although, thinking about it, I also read that the eggs can also live outside the animal's organism, so, I don't know, it's a theory, but maybe an infested animal touched some leaves, leaving some eggs (I'll let you read how the eggs manage to leave the organism :yuck: ), and then your mate had a feast on those greens.

Anyway, too much nasty images on my mind and the itches just came back :D

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some worms.
Long thin squishy ones, big fat juicy ones, see how they wriggle and squirm.
I bite off their head, and suck up the juice, and throw their skins away.
Everybody wonders how i survive, on worms three times a day.

Eric

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll eat some worms.
Long thin squishy ones, big fat juicy ones, see how they wriggle and squirm.
I bite off their head, and suck up the juice, and throw their skins away.
Everybody wonders how i survive, on worms three times a day.

Eric

LOL Eric,

There are worms and there are worms.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hes probably been in contact with dirty diesese ridden children.

(says she who stopped having threadworms after she left school)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Apparently children are a little prone to it as they have more contact with soil than adults?
Anyway its all a bit not nice....do you sometimes wonder about the saying ignorance is bliss!!
I now do. D

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Bam,Wormwood(Artenisia absinthium)was used to expel worms.

Active ingredients:Essential oil,notably thujon,bitters,absinthin,proazulin.
Uses:For loss of appetite,digestive disorders,liver and gall-bladderproblems also to treat fever and to expel worms. It can also be used as a culinary herb or spice.Interestingly it was used in the drink Absinthe :1244: .

Also Tansy(Tanacetum vulgare) please note THIS PLANT CAN BE POISONOUS IF TAKE INTERNALLY, but it was used to expel worms.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Any effective vermicide is going to be poisonous - that's how they work. The trick is finding the correct poison at the correct dosage to kill the parasites without harming the host. While there are a number of "natural" poisons that have been used for this purpose in the past, personally I'd much rather go with the best modern medicine has to offer for this sort of thing. Dosage is generally difficult to judge with "natural" rememdies.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Any effective vermicide is going to be poisonous - that's how they work. The trick is finding the correct poison at the correct dosage to kill the parasites without harming the host. While there are a number of "natural" poisons that have been used for this purpose in the past, personally I'd much rather go with the best modern medicine has to offer for this sort of thing. Dosage is generally difficult to judge with "natural" rememdies.

I agree Dunc, thats why i did,nt put up instructions on amounts and usage.:)

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
:eek: My mates got thread worms:eek:
He's pretty careful washing his hands and stuff but he is prone to having a nibble on a few greens from time to time ( dont we all)
Dont fancy worms anyone else caught anything nice:eek: from bushcrafting?
D

Yes, I have indeed had a dose of worms. I must have caught them from handling bunnies and not taking correct precautions. These days I always use gloves to gut rabbits and deer.
Thread worms are not all you have to worry about, I can remember gutting a rabbit years ago, the stomach started to move and a 12" tape worm emerged.
If you ever 'think' you might have worms or have risked getting them, the easiest and least embarrassing way of dealing with the problem is to go and see your doctor, tell him/her that your dog has had a tape worm and that your dog has been licking your plates and that you are worried now. You'll get the correct meds and the problem is solved.

John

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Thread worm tablets can be bought over the counter at pharmacies. One dose will do the trick. If you want to be extra sure you can take a second dose according to the instructions on the packet, which is when the next hatching cycle starts. Wash all your possibly infected underwear and bed sheets after taking the medication to avoid reinfection.

You can also get rid of thread worms naturally by doing nothing! Well not quite, but what happens is that the worms crawl out of your anus to lay their eggs and they end their life cycle. If you keep clean change your bedsheets and never put your fingers in your mouth and keep your hands clean then the worms will die out. The eggs can only hatch inside a host. Of course you could reinfect yourself somewhere else, by getting the eggs in your mouth.

Those of us who have kids know that keeping their fingers out of their mouths is nigh on impossible and resort to the medicine. For adults though who aren't around kids it shouldn't be too difficult to end their life cycle.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Tommy

Genuine Threadworms can only be caught from humans. So either your friend has got another sort of worm or he didn't get them from animal road kill.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE