Worlds Toughest Expeditions, with James Cracknell.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don't get the Discovery channel on my lowly t.v.. Is there another way of watching this programme?

Any help or hints gratefully received!
Richard

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK
The interior tribes of Borneo split their cooking wood this way with a parang and I have seen the Iban of the Ulu Belait area split the ends of the wood this way to help get the fire going

Aye, also seen Kadazan Dusan using the same methods with hand made tools.

The trailer clip looks great, some awesome locations and Cracknell's a top bloke, a lot of hard work goes into projects like this and full credit to Ross and the BE team, I think it's positive stuff.

That pain is real !

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well ive watched show 2 and whilst the scenery is nice im failing to see what is extreme about it. I think the problem is that most of us are used to seeing James Cracknel near kill himself in the persuit of a goal. This show is not the shop window he needs and would be better with a more gentle character that has better knowledge.

I think his lack of skills was better portrayed in episode two but it only served to detract further for me. I wouldnt want to tackle slaughter duties in that way and it smacked of 'just for TV'

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I thought I'd give the show a 2nd chance last night - No surprises though, more of the same.... James walking around with an empty rucsack, providing an overly dramatic narrative and a programme over editted to result in a show with very little substance. It's a shame it could have been so much better, james should stick at what he's good at - completing extreme endurance challanges. Won't be giving it a 3rd chance.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I've just watched the gold rush episode ad must give James credit as he shoots an elk from 250yards and drops it within 30feet of fleeting.

Not an easy thing to do if you aren't accustomed to hunting or if you have an aversion to killing something for food!

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
I haven't bothered to watch any of this series. For the same reason I hardly ever watch Bear Grylls' programmes (even thougn I have some respect for the man himself), or most of the 'informative' programs in this vein.

Program makers don't work to the same agenda that we might think - educate and inform. Their agenda is to sensationalize, scandalise, frighten and titillate. It works something like this: Sod informing and educating - let's scare those plebs into thinking the world is full of nutters, dangerous creatures and deadly environments. That will really make a good program - they'll watch in droves! Hey Harvey! Do you know a broad with big knockers who will do this kinda stuff? No, ok, we'll have to use James Cracknell.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive tried to like this programme and I can watch most things, but Im going to give it a miss from now on.
The overly dramatic music and narrative with constant reminders of what's just happened and whats going to happen is blooming annoying. Plus apart from a bit of a walk guided by the real experts, nothing really happens apart from a pre arranged meet up with a village like a visiting tourist and doing a half arsed job of a bear grills impression.
Why does he always get blisters on his hands even with a smooth modern axe?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE