World's oldest string found at French Neanderthal site

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well I would have to post this with my username wouldn't I :)

http://www.newscientist.com/article...gn=twitter&cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2012-GLOBAL-twitter

Some snippets:

"At 90,000 years old, the material purported to be string predates the arrival of Homo sapiens in Europe. That means the Neanderthals occupying the French site learned to make it themselves, rather than imitating modern humans, says Hardy. In fact, a growing body of evidence suggests our extinct cousins developed a number of sophisticated behaviours – and perhaps even taught some skills to our species when the two met."

Interesting hypothesis; albeit not completely proven via the string but quite compelling.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

I really can't see why they wouldn't have developed such skills, I really can't.
Hominids existing in the cold as they did need the ability to create clothing, shelter, and hunting techniques. Cordage is the right up there with fire I reckon :)

Thank you for the links :cool:
M

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I agree entirely; necessity being the mother of invention and all that.

The tricky bit of course as you know is getting the evidence.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Interesting, though rather frustrating at the same time :)

If they have cordage and are threading objects onto it, surely the development of the needle couldn't have been far off if they didn't have it by then.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
"Rope is thicker
But string is quicker"
S Milligan
and right as usual!
I agree that string is as needed as fire for even primitive living.
Even the simplest of bindings is made stronger with multiple strands twisted together - my nettle cordage will easily hold 30lbs...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
So it's kind of an early "string-theory"? I'll get my coat...

Cheers for posting, miss not getting my New Scientist. I don't see why they wouldn't have had some sort of cordage.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE