world record

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Don't want to be a killjoy but she had a heck of a lot of technology on her side - and luck with weather could mean she beat him by 10 days or lost by 30, but yes it's impressive, well done Ellen! :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Yeah, I heard an interview with Chay Bleith (Sp?) who had to do the same journey using charts and a sextant. No GPS or internet communication for him. But that's not to take anything away from her. Other people in the sailing world have access to the same equipment but she's the one that's done it. 72 hours in a wind powered washing machine is how I've just heard it described, with 20 minutes sleep some days.

All I'll say is that I couldn't do it. Fair play to her :ekt:

Cheers

Martin

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
No matter how much human and technology back-up she got, she's my hero!

She also always very honestly and modestly stresses that everything was team work ("I did my bit on the boat.." she said this morning),

and in interviews she often says "we" instead of "I",
meaning either "the team and I" or "the boat and I". Or both at the same time.

Well done Ellen! You are an inspiration!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
shinobi said:
Yeah, I heard an interview with Chay Bleith (Sp?) who had to do the same journey using charts and a sextant. No GPS or internet communication for him. But that's not to take anything away from her. Other people in the sailing world have access to the same equipment but she's the one that's done it. 72 hours in a wind powered washing machine is how I've just heard it described, with 20 minutes sleep some days.

All I'll say is that I couldn't do it. Fair play to her :ekt:

Cheers

Martin

Chay Blyth - a legend :respekt:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'm no gainsayer but I think an honourary Royal Navy position (and a decent one at that) and a Dame-hood are taking it a little too far. As soon as we get one over the french we're over the blemmin moon :roll:
I've no wish at all to do down her feat, it's just that there are thousands of others like that that never got any recognition at all - and that's just in sailing.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Urmmm, I'm actually with AH on this, I think its a massive achievment for herself but everyones going a bit OTT now. What I feel makes it worse is that because of the costs the average person won't have the chance to challenge her, its definately a sport for the rich.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE